spree3_27

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Alright so here is the deal:

Asus p5q-em
Intel Q8200 Quad core
2x Patriot DDR2 2G (pc2 6400)
Brand new Corsair vw550w PSU

I just built this system and i have been having all sorts of snags getting it if on the ground. The issue I am dealing with right now is that it keeps restarting itself at random. At idle, under load, really just doing anything. It will do it even during running the windows memory diagnostic. I am running it currently and it is having a hard time running through test 7 and keeps freezing.
I have unchecked the auto restart button( no error message)
I have unhooked everything individually to see if anything changes
Right now the only thing running is the cd drive to boot the memory test the psu, cpu, ram, keyboard/mouse monitor. so it definitely lies somewhere in the hardware.
here is the really weird thing the keyboard locks up before it crashes. with windows open i can still use the mouse and work on programs but the keyboard is dead. it does this in bios as well.
i dont think it is the psu because i had this issue before i replaced it. however the old psu was only 250w.
any ideas guys?

Not necessarily. Most motherboards seem to default to a 1.8 volt vRAMM setting. A lot of RAM requires higher voltages for stability. Some of the Crucial RAMM requires 2.0 volts. That can make the difference between a stable system and not.

spree3_27

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
thank you. i had started to change the memory settings from auto last night. but i just changed the timing and to 800mhz. i corrected the voltage to the specs on the ram and it seems to be running fine. no crashes yet anyway, lets keep our fingers crossed. there are still minor glitches going on with my taskbar however it appears as a blue bar when log on and the tray icon button disappears. im sure that is just a software problem though.

as far as temps go though im trying to figure out how to get the right readings. i cant figure out what the tj max should be for my processor. so i dont really know if im running too hot or not. with the tjmax set to 100c my hottest core is at 64c but the cpu says 32c does that seem strange?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I said it should be.