overheated and weird noise

watters1996

Honorable
May 7, 2012
i brought a new pc case earlier and i transferred my components over from my old case to the new one... little accident and i forgot to plug the cpu fan in.. the pc was on for around half an hour then it shut off. i thought wtf so pressed the power button again and it started to boot then shut off again. so i had a look inside and noticed the cpu fan wasnt spinning and realised my mistake. so i started to pull the case back out and i accidently hit the power button and i heard like a pop or a snap noise come from my pc. i didnt see if there was a flash or anything. but now the pc wont turn on. any ideas whats broke??

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
If you are lucky only PSU went down, to be specific a little glass resistor in it broke. You can test your PSU. Plug out power supply from motherboard (20/24 pin) and short circuit 13th and 14th pins in connector.

labeledwiresmall.jpg

MC_K7

Distinguished
I'd be surprised if the CPU burned or overheated, usually they're supposed to automatically shut down before any damage is done but you never know... If it doesn't do anything when you press the power button it could be either the motherboard or power supply, I think if the CPU would be burned or dead, it would at least post with some beep codes.

Shadow_07

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Most likely you've blown something on the PSU, It overheated and BOOM!

You will most likely will need to replace the power supply, I doubt anything serious happened to the CPU or motherboard.

watters1996

Honorable
May 7, 2012
yeah i jumped the 2 pins and my psu is dead :( its only a few months old aswell and it was a half decent £60 one. luckily i kept hold of my old one but now my new case doesnt look half as nice because the wires are short so cable management is minimal :(
Ive got a 3 year warranty from OCZ so hopefully they'll replace it.
Thanks Guys