Question Overheating 3090 RTX ?

Jan 2, 2023
Hello, I purchased a "Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 GV-N3090EAGLE OC-24GD" graphics card about two years ago.

For the first 3 months It was running at 69C-72c temp MAX while playing and using 80-90% gpu. I have checked all this info with msi afterburner.

After that... It started adding about 2-3 degrees to the temps every week.. Today and for the past year even when running at 40-50% usage it reaches 77-80c. When I actually try to play games at higher graphic settings and use around 70-80% it reaches 90c and keeps climbing.

What is the problem with the card and how can I solve it? My GTX 1080 from about 5 years ago runs way more stable than this 3090.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

It's possible that the thermal paste on the GPU's die has dried up or perhaps worse the thermal pads aren't making contact with the heatware on the board(and eventually the GPU's die) due to the card sagging in your case, causing a bit of a gap to form between the cooler and the PCB. This is an assumption though. You could try and replace the factory thermal paste and thermal pads for higher quality aftermarket paste + pads and see if the temps improve. Also, any dirt or debris built up in the cooling fins?

My GTX 1080 from about 5 years ago runs way more stable than this 3090.
They are not the same card/same architecture/same TDP. One runs much hotter while the other sips on power and effectively dumps less heat into the case(or the cooler has less to do when compared to the RTX3090).

Welcome to Tom's Hardware

Please list complete build

CPU
GPU
RAM
PSU
Display setup

Hello, I purchased a "Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 GV-N3090EAGLE OC-24GD" graphics card about two years ago.

Card is under warranty (3 year), you should contact gigabyte and talk to them to see if they have advice or want to RMA the card.

For the first 3 months It was running at 69C-72c temp MAX while playing and using 80-90% gpu. I have checked all this info with msi afterburner.

After that... It started adding about 2-3 degrees to the temps every week.. Today and for the past year even when running at 40-50% usage it reaches 77-80c. When I actually try to play games at higher graphic settings and use around 70-80% it reaches 90c and keeps climbing.

69-72c temps would sound quite low for a loaded GPU like that, amazing actually. So what did you change?
-Display setup? what are you running?
-Changed the games you're playing? Comparing new ones to old ones from 2 years ago? Same game? was it updated with higher graphics?
-Are you overclocking? Gigabyte are pretty bad in that field generally, I used to have a gigabyte card and recently considered buying one, but with some research found that they are pretty close to base cards that are just dressed up, other manufacturers put more effort into their cards than Gigabyte, but you really can't beat the overall lineup of gigabyte in price, that's their advantage.

-Depending on display 4k ... 2k high refresh... I went through this, purchased a shiny expensive gpu.... ended up running up to throttle temps at 110c because my graphics were set too high. Yeah, you can run it, but it just keeps pumping out until it throttles, I set some voltages down and lowered graphics in a few fields, now running 80-90c under load, which is acceptable (AMD anyway, runs hot).

I would suggest to have a look at your fan curve, did you adjust it? It could be the card prioritizes noise over heat reduction depending on your settings (again, i don't really know nvidia panel/afterburner, so it would be something you have to look for)

what are the temps of your CPU? is your PC near a heat source by any chance? Have you dusted out your PC in the past 2 years?

Have you ran an antivirus scan/malware?

What is the problem with the card and how can I solve it? My GTX 1080 from about 5 years ago runs way more stable than this 3090.

Have you tried anything yourself to fix the issue?