Overheating after changing thermal paste

Sipno

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015
Hello Community,

I have an i7 2600 (about 7 years old), which I take care a lot. I am changing thermal paste almost once per year, except the previous years. So now, I have just changed the thermal paste but the temperatures are almost the same (67 - 70 Celcius) and before that they were 69-75 Celcius. At first I thought that I didn't spread the compound quite good, so I checked it out and it was ok.
And here is my question. Is it because of the CPU is getting older or is there anything else I could do?

My setup:
e6wvmu.jpg

What is your temperature at idle?
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.

Too much paste can act as an insulator and I suspect that is the case here.
The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic air pits in the mating surfaces.
Paste is a better conductor than air, but not nearly as good as metal to metal contact.

A small rice sized drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.
It is hard to use too little.

If you are using the stock intel cooler, check that all 4 pins are through the motherboard and locked.
When you push down on the pins, do a diagonal pair simultaneously or the cooler will not go on level.

Sipno

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015
After all this time, I found the solution on this and it was the least expected.
I was using two chrome and blisk (a chrome based browser). After searching I found hidden processes running in the background even when the browser were completly closed. Those two browsers were pushing my system's CPU and as a result it was part of overheating.

TRENDING THREADS