Question overheating after cpu upgrade

Oct 29, 2022
i have a dell latitude e5430 which has an i5 cpu but i upgraded to an i7 that has been tested by dell. It works but has a slow boot up now and its now overheating to the point i burn myself near the fan outlet (no joke) should i go back to oi5 or is there something i can do? fan is clear and clean as is whole laptop and has 8gb ram windows 7 64bit. thanks

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Since you have already purchased and installed the i7 ....

One would consider that the paste was cleaned off and changed as well as the fan(s) being blown out, new paste installed, everything back as it should be.
The i7 (even with the mobile models) has quite a bit more power draw than the i5. It is going to produce well more heat and should be considered to keep it on a flat surface or tray, etc.

You might be able to minimize some of the heat issues by changing the power state. If you haven't, you might consider a clean install, otherwise at the very least make sure you have updated the chipset driver.

The i7 is supported on the platform. Looks like they offered this model with everything.

Dell Latitude E5430 Owner's Manual | Dell US

Who installed the I7 upgrade?
I7 is going to draw more power and get hotter.
If the installer did not clean and replace the paste the cooler will not work as well.
Or, if the thermal module was not tightened down evenly, a bit at a time, it will not go evenly and make good contact.