Question Overheating & Air bubbles in AIO pump due to overclocking CPU?

Nov 15, 2019
Hello, i'm curious if it's possible to damage a relatively small AIO pump by overclocking your CPU?

Like would it be possible to overheat, cause air bubbles and damage a M22 Kraken, by overclocking a i7-8700k?

I forgot to clarify.
In this example the CPU is not damaged, but could the overlcocking process cause damage to the AIO pump with overheating?
Without any damage being caused to the CPU.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Hello, i'm curious if it's possible to damage a relatively small AIO pump by overclocking your CPU?

Like would it be possible to overheat, cause air bubbles and damage a M22 Kraken, by overclocking a i7-8700k?

No, unless the coolant level rises above the max supported temp and I don't see one listed on the spec page.

It's an OK cooler, but I wouldn't use a 120mm AIO on anything but a small, compact build where a 240mm or larger AIO is possible....coming from the guy that actually reviewed the M22 Kraken for Tom's Hardware.

Nov 15, 2019
No, unless the coolant level rises above the max supported temp and I don't see one listed on the spec page.

Thank you for replying. The shop I bought my PC from is claiming my AIO pump got damaged because of an overclocked CPU, but I didn't overclock the CPU and the pump has been acting weird since I got it, but they said it was fine then, about a year ago.

The pump was still running, but CPU idle tempature raised to 90c very fast, even though the cabinet was not becoming hot at all. But FPS was low in games because CPU was barely being utilized - like 5-10% in task manager.

Like I said, the CPU has not been damaged, only the M22 Kraken Pump was supposedly overheated and damaged, containing air bubbles.

Last edited: