Overheating AMD A10 6800k

lowbudgetgamerXXX

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
It suddenly happened, the power is being cut off automaticaly from my pc which makes it restart over and over again. I checked my cpu and found out that it was overheating. It reaches temps of 80c when idle even at bios. I tried cleaning my system and reapplication of thermal paste but it didnt solve the problem. My cpu fan is also working fine. I am speculating that the problem lies either in my supply or my processor. I suspect my mobo the least. my computer is 3 years old. Here is my computer specs:

600w generic psu
Amd a10 6800k (stock heatsink)
2x 4gb hyperfury 1800
500gb seagate hdd
Dvd rom
Gigabyte ga-f2a78m-hd2 mobo
2x cooling fans

Here are the list of things I tried
1. Reduce load of my psu (removing other i/o device and the case fans)
2. Cleaning of dusts
3. Reapplication of thermal paste

I havent tried replacing any components since I dont have spare parts. What could be the problem? All ideas will help me decide what to do with my computer. All responses are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Solution
First of all, is your system running at stock settings or is it overclocked in some way?

If it is overclocked, the stock heatsink on your A10 6800K might not cut it; you would be best to find a nice 120mmfan+heatsink that fits in your case.

Also, the steps of reapplying thermal compound is simple but is also very important to be done right (or at least not incorrectly).

The purpose of thermal compound is to help ensure sufficient contact between the surface of your cpu and the heatsink. Differing brands and types of thermal compound may have varying degrees of thermal conductivity and specific heat capacities, but they do not actively provide anything towards cooling the cpu.

Too LITTLE thermal compound applied may not provide a...

LowlySkeleton

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
First of all, is your system running at stock settings or is it overclocked in some way?

If it is overclocked, the stock heatsink on your A10 6800K might not cut it; you would be best to find a nice 120mmfan+heatsink that fits in your case.

Also, the steps of reapplying thermal compound is simple but is also very important to be done right (or at least not incorrectly).

The purpose of thermal compound is to help ensure sufficient contact between the surface of your cpu and the heatsink. Differing brands and types of thermal compound may have varying degrees of thermal conductivity and specific heat capacities, but they do not actively provide anything towards cooling the cpu.

Too LITTLE thermal compound applied may not provide a sufficient enough surface area of contact to efficiently conduct heat away from the cpu. Too MUCH thermal compound would lead to an insulating effect, where it is actually trapping more heat than it transfers. They say to go for a "pea-sized" amount, not be mistaken for the size of an ACTUAL pea as this would be way too much.

The next most important aspect would be the mounting of the heatsink. The initial mounting pressure is what helps to spread the thermal compound and ensures that no air gaps or air bubbles are created, as air is a poor heat-transferring media. For the same reason, you do not want to ever lift up the heatsink while mounting it, as it would lead to creating air bubbles; you would have to clean it off and start over again. This is also why the heatsink also has to be securely mounted, as you don't want it to wiggle loosely and create air bubbles or pockets.

Lastly, you might want to look into the placement of your case fans, making sure they are orientated the correct way and mounted at the most optical locations. This video might give you an idea of how more fans and their placement might matter for cpu temps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

Solution