Overheating asus g60vx, done lots of thermal paste, may be thermal pad issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromashadows

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I have replaced my thermal paste a ton of times. My laptop I have owned since 09. Every time I applied new paste, the pc would run fine around 40 to 50 c, no issues. IN the past few years, it has over heated more and more. A few times ago, I saw the pads over the gpu and surrounding areas (must have been about 12 thermal pads, for real) were going bad so I removed them and put paste on instead.
It was about 60c then started to get to 70, then 80, then 90 over time (a few months). Changed paste again, same issue.

I asked around online to see what size pads I needed. Couldn't find info anywhere. Finally someone said 1mm. So I got some on ebay, put them on...
Big mistake.
Upon turning the laptop on, it instantly shot to 112c so I immediately turned it off, heart in my throat. Put paste on. Now it's sitting at 80 to 85c with NOTHING running period. I need a little fan blowing into the fan socket to keep it around 69 to 75. I'm at my wits end to put it lightly. I have used artic sliver and a few other top brand thermal pastes. So if anyone knows, what size thermal pads does an Asus G60vx (black cover, not the white) USE? I'm saving up to get a better gaming laptop but it'll be about 3 months and I can't really NOT game. This little side fan blowing works but not well enough.

Edit to ask, is there thermal paste/pad UNDER the gpu? I have never thought to take it out and look. Scared to because I've never done that before and don't want to make things worse. I'm willing to do so if that may be the issue going on. And yes, the pc is clean. It was blown out about 2 months ago.

Solution
It is probably age as this can make all the components worn out. There is no cure for this except replacing the laptop. The only thing I can thing of is to use an actual fan near the laptop to cool the laptop and surroundings. Also use ac if you can and put it near a window so that there is air blowing onto the laptop.

You could also put something that makes the laptop sit at an angle. This should increase the air flow.

Finally you could replace the fans of the laptop as they maybe worn out.
It is probably age as this can make all the components worn out. There is no cure for this except replacing the laptop. The only thing I can thing of is to use an actual fan near the laptop to cool the laptop and surroundings. Also use ac if you can and put it near a window so that there is air blowing onto the laptop.

You could also put something that makes the laptop sit at an angle. This should increase the air flow.

Finally you could replace the fans of the laptop as they maybe worn out.

Solution

humphrey502690

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
not good to use a lot of paste... if you use too much itll cause negative impact on thermal conductivity..
the point to using paste is to only fill air gaps..
if ur pads are bad you can put paste on them for a TEMPORARY fix..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS