peter

Hi!

I got a strange problem with my AMD64 system. I have used it for
several months without any problems, well except that I thought the
disks where running a little hot. I fixed that last week by adding a
chassis fan - and I also bought a new - supposedly quiter - CPU fan
from Arctic cooling. Installed that and initially I did get a CPU fan
error message from the BIOS. I double checked the fan, the fan speed
and the CPU temperature and they where all fine. I stressed tested it
under heavy load; still OK; I left it running under monitoring for a
week and still fine - the CPU temp was always below 49C. At this point
I had no wanrnings from the BIOS or OS about overheating.

Then the system was turned off and rebooted by a family member. After
that, when booting the system, the BIOS gives a temp warning, after
OK'ing that it boots WinXP, and I can log on but almost directly the OS
shuts down the system! I don't have time to open any apps before this
happens so I'm sort of lost! All temps are accoring to the BIOS fine,
but it reports a warning on the chassis fan speed. Can you change the
threshold on that warning somehow? There is an "Ignore" option in the
BIOS that I have tried but that appears only to affect the display in
the BIOS...?

The system:
CPU: AMD64 3000+
MB: ASUS K8N-E deluxe
System disk: 160 GB Maxtor
Data disk: RAID1 (2*160 GB Maxtor)
Chassis fan: standard 92 mm fan
CPU fan: Arctic cooling Silencer 64 Ultra TC
OS: WinXP SP2
The chassis is a Chieftech miditower with pleanty of space
Ambient temp is 20-25C

I have tried enabling/disabling both the Cool N' Quite and Q Fan
features in the BIOS

Please help!

/Peter

peter

Thanks!

What I did was to unplug the chassis fan. I also reset the BIOS so the
fan monitor now monitors the CPU fan but Chassis & Power fan are N/A. Q
Fan & Cool N' Quite are both disabled. The system now runs smoothly
(CPU is 40C and MB 31C) but with disks slightly hotter than what I'm
quite comfortable with, 63C and counting.

Hmmm, thinking about it I will now attach the chassis fan again to see
if the problem comes back. If not, well, who knows? If it does, then
what could possibly be wrong with a fan (it does run when attached!)?

Back again shortly after re-booting

/Peter

peter

OK, re-attaching the fan did recreate the problem... I even had to
cycle the power to make the BIOS understand it didn't have a chassis
fan any longer :)

Running the fan directly from the PSU is a great suggestion - I will do
just that - thanks! :)

I'll will also try to check the fan speed reporting thing...

Best Regards & thanks everyone!
/Peter

"Peter" <peter@szmulik.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I got a strange problem with my AMD64 system. I have used it for
> several months without any problems, well except that I thought the
> disks where running a little hot. I fixed that last week by adding a
> chassis fan - and I also bought a new - supposedly quiter - CPU fan
> from Arctic cooling. Installed that and initially I did get a CPU fan
> error message from the BIOS. I double checked the fan, the fan speed
> and the CPU temperature and they where all fine. I stressed tested it
> under heavy load; still OK; I left it running under monitoring for a
> week and still fine - the CPU temp was always below 49C. At this point
> I had no wanrnings from the BIOS or OS about overheating.
>
> Then the system was turned off and rebooted by a family member. After
> that, when booting the system, the BIOS gives a temp warning, after
> OK'ing that it boots WinXP, and I can log on but almost directly the OS
> shuts down the system! I don't have time to open any apps before this
> happens so I'm sort of lost! All temps are accoring to the BIOS fine,
> but it reports a warning on the chassis fan speed. Can you change the
> threshold on that warning somehow? There is an "Ignore" option in the
> BIOS that I have tried but that appears only to affect the display in
> the BIOS...?
>
> The system:
> CPU: AMD64 3000+
> MB: ASUS K8N-E deluxe
> System disk: 160 GB Maxtor
> Data disk: RAID1 (2*160 GB Maxtor)
> Chassis fan: standard 92 mm fan
> CPU fan: Arctic cooling Silencer 64 Ultra TC
> OS: WinXP SP2
> The chassis is a Chieftech miditower with pleanty of space
> Ambient temp is 20-25C
>
> I have tried enabling/disabling both the Cool N' Quite and Q Fan
> features in the BIOS
>
> Please help!

Not clear the shutting down is from overheating.
If the CPU temp is OK, the warning from the chassis fan can be ignored [I
would recommend you turn off any fan warning. Finally, all that matters is
are the temps]
To see if it is dangerously overheating - go into the BIOS setup - watch the
CPU temp. It'll have to be well north of 75 - 80 C for overheating to be
the reason it's shutting down. [The AMD64 3000 max CPU operating temp is
90 - 95 C - depending on the specific CPU.]

If it's not the CPU temp, the usual suspects are power supply, memory, then
components or peripherals, then motherboard.
To see if it's being caused by hardware or software conflict, try booting
into safe mode. If it makes it into safe mode and runs for a while, good
chance that there's a hardware or software conflict.

If it doesn't make it into safe mode, I would first confirm whether the
system drive has a problem.

After that, try taking out all components and peripherals - ie., reduce load
on power supply to see if that makes a difference. If it still fails, try
taking out all the memory except one. Retry with each of the memory
'sticks' with just one stick in at a time.

Lastly, was there any software any software or hardware changes recently?

Here's MS's approach to troubleshooting startup problems in Win XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

> /Peter

"Peter" <peter@szmulik.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I got a strange problem with my AMD64 system. I have used it for
> several months without any problems, well except that I thought the
> disks where running a little hot. I fixed that last week by adding a
> chassis fan - and I also bought a new - supposedly quiter - CPU fan
> from Arctic cooling. Installed that and initially I did get a CPU
fan
> error message from the BIOS. I double checked the fan, the fan speed
> and the CPU temperature and they where all fine. I stressed tested
it
> under heavy load; still OK; I left it running under monitoring for a
> week and still fine - the CPU temp was always below 49C. At this
point
> I had no wanrnings from the BIOS or OS about overheating.
>
> Then the system was turned off and rebooted by a family member.
After
> that, when booting the system, the BIOS gives a temp warning, after
> OK'ing that it boots WinXP, and I can log on but almost directly the
OS
> shuts down the system! I don't have time to open any apps before
this
> happens so I'm sort of lost! All temps are accoring to the BIOS
fine,
> but it reports a warning on the chassis fan speed. Can you change
the
> threshold on that warning somehow? There is an "Ignore" option in
the
> BIOS that I have tried but that appears only to affect the display
in
> the BIOS...?

Peter, I have an Asus K8S-MX mobo with the same problem. The fan
speed threshold is fixed at 1800RPM. Your Arctic Cooling HSF must be
the temperature controlled version, when first turned on it is
naturally cool and turns slowly, less than 1800. Your only fix is a
new mobo, or new HSF, or turning off the bios warning.

I don't recommend turning off the bios warning because your new HSF
has exposed fan blades that just beg to snag any loose wires you might
have floating around in your case. If you choose to use the fan (and
turn off the warning in the bios) I strongly recommend using some
twine to tie down all the wires in your chassis so that the
possibility of a fan snag does not exist.

Peter writes:

> What I did was to unplug the chassis fan. I also reset the BIOS so the
> fan monitor now monitors the CPU fan but Chassis & Power fan are N/A. Q
> Fan & Cool N' Quite are both disabled. The system now runs smoothly
> (CPU is 40C and MB 31C) but with disks slightly hotter than what I'm
> quite comfortable with, 63C and counting.
>
> Hmmm, thinking about it I will now attach the chassis fan again to see
> if the problem comes back.

Just run the chassis fan directly from the PSU. That will avoid
changing anything on the MB or BIOS, and your disks will be cooler
(63° C is too high).

> If it does, then what could possibly be wrong with a fan (it does
> run when attached!)?

It could have a problem reporting its speed to the MB. Isn't there a
division factor or something that is used to translate signals from
the fan to actual RPM? I know Motherboard Monitor mentions dividers.

Felger Carbon writes:

> Peter, I have an Asus K8S-MX mobo with the same problem. The fan
> speed threshold is fixed at 1800RPM. Your Arctic Cooling HSF must be
> the temperature controlled version, when first turned on it is
> naturally cool and turns slowly, less than 1800. Your only fix is a
> new mobo, or new HSF, or turning off the bios warning.

My Asus P5GDC Deluxe also reports a CPU fan error every time I boot,
but it runs okay once I hit F1 to get past the boot. The MB actually
does know the correct speed of the CPU fan, but apparently it is
programmed to consider anything less than 1800 RPM too slow, when in
fact the fan on the P4 almost always runs slower than 1800 RPM unless
the processor is truly pegged by something running on the machine.

peter

>The fan speed threshold is fixed at 1800RPM.
OK, thanks. Mxsmanic suggested earlier in the thread that there might
be a tweak that would make the 1200 rps I get from my fan appear as if
it was 1800 to the MB. I might check that one out. What I will do is to
get one of those adapter cabels to feed 12V power direct from the PSU
to the fan.

In article <1124654648.866307.110470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Peter says...
> Thanks!
>
> What I did was to unplug the chassis fan. I also reset the BIOS so the
> fan monitor now monitors the CPU fan but Chassis & Power fan are N/A. Q
> Fan & Cool N' Quite are both disabled. The system now runs smoothly
> (CPU is 40C and MB 31C) but with disks slightly hotter than what I'm
> quite comfortable with, 63C and counting.

63C is fine. Silicon is good for over 80C. Unless you're using a pukka
thermal probe, the temperature the HDD reports is at best a guesstimate
- one that gets more inaccurate as it gets hotter.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.

In article <1124656307.741074.187480@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Peter says...
> OK, re-attaching the fan did recreate the problem...

Could be that it is drawing too much current for the motherboard header
- either because it is too higher rated or faulty.

--

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Felger Carbon writes:
>
>> Peter, I have an Asus K8S-MX mobo with the same problem. The fan
>> speed threshold is fixed at 1800RPM. Your Arctic Cooling HSF must be
>> the temperature controlled version, when first turned on it is
>> naturally cool and turns slowly, less than 1800. Your only fix is a
>> new mobo, or new HSF, or turning off the bios warning.
>
> My Asus P5GDC Deluxe also reports a CPU fan error every time I boot,
> but it runs okay once I hit F1 to get past the boot. The MB actually
> does know the correct speed of the CPU fan, but apparently it is
> programmed to consider anything less than 1800 RPM too slow, when in
> fact the fan on the P4 almost always runs slower than 1800 RPM unless
> the processor is truly pegged by something running on the machine.

Mxmanic.........There is a new bios that addresses that problem. 1010 I
believe????.......forget.

Ed

Conor writes:

> 63C is fine. Silicon is good for over 80C.

Disk drives contain moving parts that are much more sensitive to
temperature than silicon.

Ed Medlin writes:

> Mxmanic.........There is a new bios that addresses that problem. 1010 I
> believe????.......forget.

I consider the potential risk of flashing the BIOS to be much more
dangerous than the inconvenience of having to press F1 when I boot (I
never turn this machine off, anyway).

peter

Felger Carbon wrote:
> "Peter" <peter@szmulik.com> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I got a strange problem with my AMD64 system. I have used it for
> > several months without any problems, well except that I thought the
> > disks where running a little hot. I fixed that last week by adding a
> > chassis fan - and I also bought a new - supposedly quiter - CPU fan
> > from Arctic cooling. Installed that and initially I did get a CPU
> fan
> > error message from the BIOS. I double checked the fan, the fan speed
> > and the CPU temperature and they where all fine. I stressed tested
> it
> > under heavy load; still OK; I left it running under monitoring for a
> > week and still fine - the CPU temp was always below 49C. At this
> point
> > I had no wanrnings from the BIOS or OS about overheating.
> >
> > Then the system was turned off and rebooted by a family member.
> After
> > that, when booting the system, the BIOS gives a temp warning, after
> > OK'ing that it boots WinXP, and I can log on but almost directly the
> OS
> > shuts down the system! I don't have time to open any apps before
> this
> > happens so I'm sort of lost! All temps are accoring to the BIOS
> fine,
> > but it reports a warning on the chassis fan speed. Can you change
> the
> > threshold on that warning somehow? There is an "Ignore" option in
> the
> > BIOS that I have tried but that appears only to affect the display
> in
> > the BIOS...?
>
> Peter, I have an Asus K8S-MX mobo with the same problem. The fan
> speed threshold is fixed at 1800RPM. Your Arctic Cooling HSF must be
> the temperature controlled version, when first turned on it is
> naturally cool and turns slowly, less than 1800. Your only fix is a
> new mobo, or new HSF, or turning off the bios warning.
>
> I don't recommend turning off the bios warning because your new HSF
> has exposed fan blades that just beg to snag any loose wires you might
> have floating around in your case. If you choose to use the fan (and
> turn off the warning in the bios) I strongly recommend using some
> twine to tie down all the wires in your chassis so that the
> possibility of a fan snag does not exist.

Thanks, this turned out to be very relevant!