[SOLVED] Overheating... but not overheating laptop issue?

Mar 24, 2021
Hi all,

i'm no computer genius to go easy on me! But i have an issue with my computer and hoping someone can help out. Since i got my laptop (2016 i think), it has been shutting down randomly because of an overheating issue which is getting worse. The problem is that it isn't actually overheating. I started running 'Coretemp' to show the temps of the 4 cores, so when i hear the fan kicking in i've been looking at Coretemp and the temps of the 4 cores can be sitting there running at 30-40 degrees C and the computer will be beeping it's head off at me before shutting down. I can feel there's no heat coming out of the cooling fan, so effectively verifying that Coretemp is working ok. What could be causing this? Is there a temp sensor or something which could be stuffing up and telling the Bios the processor's too hot? If so, wouldn't Coretemp be using this to read the temps also?

The laptop is a Metabox with Intel Core i7 7700HQ (Kaby Lake) processor, running Windows 10

Any help here would be awesome! TIA

Cheers, al

Solution
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.

Run HWmonitor.
It will give you the current, minimum and maximum temperatures of your cpu.
If you see 100c as a max, your cpu has throttled or slowed down to let the cpu cool off.
If you see much more than 10-15c. over ambient at idle, it indicated that your cpu cooler is not doing well.
It could be airways clogged with dust, a loose cooler, a non operative cooler fan, or possibly a paste issue.

First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

Try changing the windows power...
Can you write the exact specs of the Laptop or write the model?
Also how do you know it's shutting down due to overheating (Usualy if it's shutting down due to high temperatures, then next time you started it.. there is a message, your pc shut down due to heat issue or something like that and it's offering you to go into bios)?

If there is no message for overheating, it could be shutting down due to other reasons (Power brick problem, motherboard issue ...etc).
Also it's gonna be good of you're able to clean it from dust.

Mar 24, 2021
Can you write the exact specs of the Laptop or write the model?
Also how do you know it's shutting down due to overheating (Usualy if it's shutting down due to high temperatures, then next time you started it.. there is a message, your pc shut down due to heat issue or something like that and it's offering you to go into bios)?

If there is no message for overheating, it could be shutting down due to other reasons (Power brick problem, motherboard issue ...etc).
Also it's gonna be good of you're able to clean it from dust.

Specs below, i realised looking them up it was bought in 2017 not 2016 (not that it matters). But i am assuming it's heat related as the fan goes full speed leading up to the issue, then the computer beeps for 30s (roughly) and switches off. Rarely it will not switch itself off and will stop beeping while the fan basically stops which is another reason i believe it's heat related (or the computer thinks it is). I'm happy to look at other issues if you have suggestions...?

Sometimes on restart it will go through the 'didn't shutdown properly' screen and i'll have to select to start up as usual.

Specs:
Metabox Alpha N850HK
Windows OS: No operating system - Drivers disk supplied only
Display: 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 IPS WVA Matte 60Hz LED
Processor: Intel Quad Core i7-7700HQ (6M Cache, 2.8 - 3.8GHz)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5 VRAM
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz (1x16GB)
M.2 SSD 1: 512GB SK Hynix SC308 SATA3 M.2 SSD
Hard Drive 1: HGST 1TB 5400RPM 7mm
WiFi: Intel 8265 AC Dual Band Wireless/BT 4.2 (up to 867 Mbps)
Optical: No external optical drive required

It's running Windows 10

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.

Run HWmonitor.
It will give you the current, minimum and maximum temperatures of your cpu.
If you see 100c as a max, your cpu has throttled or slowed down to let the cpu cool off.
If you see much more than 10-15c. over ambient at idle, it indicated that your cpu cooler is not doing well.
It could be airways clogged with dust, a loose cooler, a non operative cooler fan, or possibly a paste issue.

First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

Try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Solution
Mar 24, 2021
Thanks Geofelt, i have cleaned the fans but haven't replaced the paste so will do that. Am running CoreTemp for core temps. The highest i've ever seen in about 80 C. It's usually down around the 30-40 mark, sometimes in the 50's and just will spike for 1 second or so in the 70's at times so i really don't think it's the processors... I can't see any other dust or crap inside there though... I'll have a look at the windows power profile though and see if that helps, thanks for the input!

What other things could be thermally shutting off? I'm not doing much gaming at the moment so my graphics card is at max 10% use most of the time.

Thanks Geofelt, i have cleaned the fans but haven't replaced the paste so will do that. Am running CoreTemp for core temps. The highest i've ever seen in about 80 C. It's usually down around the 30-40 mark, sometimes in the 50's and just will spike for 1 second or so in the 70's at times so i really don't think it's the processors... I can't see any other dust or crap inside there though... I'll have a look at the windows power profile though and see if that helps, thanks for the input!

What other things could be thermally shutting off? I'm not doing much gaming at the moment so my graphics card is at max 10% use most of the time.
It's already discussed but I will repeat it anyway...since the temps are looking not that awful.... it's pointing to the Power Brick, its not able to provide enough juice and its shutting off to prevent damage (it happens especially to the power hungry gaming laptops).

TRENDING THREADS