[SOLVED] overheating cpu dropping fan speeds

Jan 30, 2019
im running an fx8350 on an msi 970a-g43 plus when the cpu heats up the fan speed drops down to nothing including all case fans i then have to go thru drop the speed deliberatly then put them up to max why is it doing this

Solution
Could be your bios settings, some can be adjusted manually so that the cooler fan speeds up or down depending on the temps variation, it seems that somehow your settings are... inverted, its slowing down as it gets hotter... check that first often they are a curve graph with min and max, or manual input values depending on the temperature, other than that it could also be a software controlling the fans, also inverted, slowing down as it gets hotter... what a mess.

older systems or as default some motherboards/bios settings just keep the fan at full blast providing a constant current of voltage, that being said, if that were your case the fans would have to remain on a constant speed independant of the temperature.
Could be your bios settings, some can be adjusted manually so that the cooler fan speeds up or down depending on the temps variation, it seems that somehow your settings are... inverted, its slowing down as it gets hotter... check that first often they are a curve graph with min and max, or manual input values depending on the temperature, other than that it could also be a software controlling the fans, also inverted, slowing down as it gets hotter... what a mess.

older systems or as default some motherboards/bios settings just keep the fan at full blast providing a constant current of voltage, that being said, if that were your case the fans would have to remain on a constant speed independant of the temperature.

Solution
Jan 30, 2019

yh i ended up reseting the bios and left it as default seams to be ok now just wierd as hell just starting doing it at random only thing i can think of is something got changed when i updated the software controling the fans and yes i like to keep my fans running on max but thinking about it more wondering if this is the reason my old liquid cooling unit decided to throw a leek ie heated up the liquid expaning enough to cause a rupture guess ill be keeping a closer eye on it usually runs arount 29c idle and upto 47 max give me a heart attack when i saw the temps get up to 55