Overheating CPU under load, nothing I do can fix it.

Edward777

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
Hello. I am new to the forums. I made a self-built PC to play newer games half year ago. I bought AMD FX-6100 cpu and NVIDIA Geforce 750 TI video card. Also I have upgraded RAM to 8 gigs. I changed everything except the PSU, case and HDD. But the problem I have since then is the temperature of my cpu. My idle temps are between 40-46C. Sometimes even 48C. When I start a game it's almost impossible to keep the temperature under 70C. The max I reached was 83C, few days ago while playing F1 2016. Actually I couldn't play. I ran the game for 10 mins and I couldn't keep it on, otherwise my CPU was either going to fry itself or turn off. While playing GTA V I reach 70C. Basically it happens with all games and it overheats every time it needs to be used intensively. Yesterday I tried to watch a 4K video on youtube. Simply starting Chrome raises my temp from 42C to 48 or 50C. While running the 4K video it reached 64C. If I let it play to the end it was going to raise even more. I tried almost everything - checked settings in the BIOS, bought an aftermarket cooler(A bit bigger fan than the stock cooler, way quieter and raises RPM up to 2300 max), lowering voltage, using other power plans, opening the case. Almost everything. If I lower voltage or just use another power plan other than High Performance my games lag. But to avoid the lag I need to play with CPU running at 75C for example. Could it be the PSU causing the problem(Powerbox ATX-500W)?

Solution
What is your ambient temperature?
I expect any cooler to run about 10-15c. over ambient at idle.

What is your case?
Any cooler need a supply of fresh intake air to do its job.
I5-7400 is not a hot processor, but a RX-480 is a hot graphics card.
If you do not have good airflow, the graphics card heats up the air the cpu cooler needs to do it's job.

The stock intel cooler uses a pushpin mount.
It is essential that the mount goes on evenly and that all 4 pins are through the motherboard and locked.
The trick is to push down simultaneously on diagonal pairs of pins when mounting.

What is your aftermarket cooler?

Lastly, do not worry too much about heat.
The cpu will slow down or shut off to protect itself if it gets too hot.
That is...

Edward777

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
Except for cleaning the case, I did everything else. It's not even that dusty inside or around the fan. I even cleaned and applied thermal paste few times in the last days. And I am currently with an aftermarket cooler which is very cheap. Both the stock cooler and the aftermarket can't handle the CPU under load.

What is your ambient temperature?
I expect any cooler to run about 10-15c. over ambient at idle.

What is your case?
Any cooler need a supply of fresh intake air to do its job.
I5-7400 is not a hot processor, but a RX-480 is a hot graphics card.
If you do not have good airflow, the graphics card heats up the air the cpu cooler needs to do it's job.

The stock intel cooler uses a pushpin mount.
It is essential that the mount goes on evenly and that all 4 pins are through the motherboard and locked.
The trick is to push down simultaneously on diagonal pairs of pins when mounting.

What is your aftermarket cooler?

Lastly, do not worry too much about heat.
The cpu will slow down or shut off to protect itself if it gets too hot.
That is around 100c.

Solution

Edward777

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
Currently my room temperature is no more than 21C probably and the CPU keeps working right now with no intensive work at 42-45C. The case is Goldenfield Power Box D212B-Black Micro-ATX with Asus M5A78L- M LE motherboard and the cooler is Spire Coolreef Pro. It sits very tightly and it's locked.

Edward777

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
Fixed it. I undervolted the CPU with AMD Overdrive and saved the setup. Now while gaming and doing intensive work it can't hit 70C, even 65C in most cases and there is stable FPS with no lagging or stuttering. It's way better than reaching 80C, but I will still consider buying better cooler. Thanks to both Zerk and geofelt who responded to the thread.