[SOLVED] Overheating even after undervolting

Xrib

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014
I have an year old
Asus ROG Strix GL503-GE
i5 8300H / 8gb ram / 1050ti

Everytime I run a game the CPU goes to crazy high temperatures like 99 degree Celsius
Asus claimed it's fine and I took their word for it
After two months of purchase the motherboard died and laptop refused to boot so Asus replaced the motherboard claiming it's some defect and it's covered under warranty

I used for around 10 months more but the performance kept deteriorating (XTU benchmark came down to around 400 and abysmal performance in even 2015 AAA titles at lowest settings)
I took to the service center and they changed the motherboard yet again
When I complained about the temps they said it's fine and replaced the thermal paste which made no difference

I wanted to run it a little cooler so I tried Intel XTU and undervolted it by 180mV but pretty much the same performance at the same temperatures for the XTU benchmarks (varied between 755 and 775)
I even tried limiting maximum processor power using the windows power options to 75% but that made absolutely no change
The GPU never goes above 80 so that's fine

I know it's not a beast of a machine and I have absolutely no issues running the games with no aliasing at the almost the lowest settings but at this rate I don't think the machine will survive for long and warranty has expired so I can't afford to keep replacing the motherboard
Can anyone recommend any other solutions to make the processor cooler

Solution
Maybe see if your BIOS on the laptop is due for an update. Then see if the undervolt helps. You could use throttlestop(not in conjunction but standalone) and see if you get better results.

Which version of XTU are you on and what version of Windows 10 are you running?

Lutfij

Titan
Maybe see if your BIOS on the laptop is due for an update. Then see if the undervolt helps. You could use throttlestop(not in conjunction but standalone) and see if you get better results.

Which version of XTU are you on and what version of Windows 10 are you running?

Solution

Xrib

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014
My bios is already up to the latest version that Asus has on their website
I think they updated and gave me when they 'serviced' it last

Windows 10 64 bit
Version 1909

Intel XTU the latest version 6.5.2.40
downloaded it 2 days ago from their site

I'll try using throttlestop and see if that improves the situation
thanks for the advice