Overheating? Im a noob HELP!!

CrossStealth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
These are the links for my system
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251011-29-never-overclocked-anything-start

I want to overclock this system but Im no expert and im fairly sure I did something wrong because my computer was at idle for about 5 hours no keys were touched no mouse moved and in power save mode. I checked the CPU temp and it was 69 which seems high. Ive never put thermal paste on a CPU before so I thought I did it wrong and took off the heatsink cleaned it all off the cpu and heatsink/fan and reapplied but a thinner amount fearing I put too much. I let the system sit a few mins and put it together and went to the bios and it was rising steadily till it hit 74 and I shut it off. I dont know if I put the Arctic Silver 5 on incorrectly but I took pictures of what it looks like currently for some help. I believe all 4 pins on the heatsink are seated correctly I know if I push any harder Ill break my MB but it seems snug anyway. Is this normal temps for a Q9550? Im gonna get a new cooling system but which one should I get? And how can I get it running at a good temp ASAP with the same hardware. Oh and should I increase fan speed? And if so how do I do that.

Thank you for all your support on these questions!!

SDC11373.jpg

SDC11377.jpg

sitting at the bios screen the cpu is pretty much doing nothing and getting no power .

Chances are the temperature sensor is faulty or the BIOS itself is faulty . You could try flashing it to a later BIOS but I would send the mobo back

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Although this is a true statement, I do have a particularly bad experience regarding this topic. I was helping a friend with a computer problem and I had a need to get into the BIOS to check something. I hadn't finished disassembling everything, but I figured the CPU would be fine if I just sat the heatsink/fan on the CPU. I just wanted to get into the BIOS to retrieve some values and the locking mechanism for the heatsink was a real hassle. I assumed the CPU would function long enough for me to get into the BIOS... after all, that's not exactly a CPU intensive activity. In the time it took that computer (an Athlon 1400 if I remember correctly) to get to the BIOS, the processor burnt up. It didn't throttle. It didn't spark. It just burned. The heatsink was sitting on the processor, but was not being held down by the latching mechanism. Since that experience I've been extra careful not to tempt fate (yes, I know most modern CPUs have thermal controls built into them now)

Just sharing my bad experience.

Those temps are not normal. Did you install the heatsink with the motherboard in the case? I would take the motherboard out and make sure all four pins are fully seated. It's a lot easier to install the heatsink with the motherboard sitting on a non-conductive surface outside the case (like a cardboard box).

I wouldn't assume the temp readings are not accurate. That's a pretty good way to burn up a chip. Are all of the push-pins turned the OPPOSITE direction as the arrows?

CrossStealth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hey I used real temp and at the desktop the temps were 52-46-46-44
I ran Intel Burn Test and after about 15-30 seconds the load was like 98% and brought the cores to 82-78-72-72 and seemed like they would rise much higher. Whats the next step I should take? Im gonna get the other programs from those links and send it over to that pc since it isnt online yet till I get a 64 bit wireless card(comes in the mail tomorrow with the new vid card and dvd drive)

Should I return any hardware and is there any way to fully test that hardware before it gets sent back? Any and all info is really a big help

CrossStealth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Ive reseated it about 4or 5 times and it seems like its ok Do you think getting an after market cooling system would fix this problem? I hit almost 90 degrees C when running intel burn test a second ago and very unsurehow to adjust my fans

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Use SpeedFan to set your fan to 100% and see if that helps.

CrossStealth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
It hit like 88 but it would hit 90 in high stress test but im not 100% sure its seated correctly as ive never done it before but it all seems stable and ive watched a few videos. if that cooler is good and will help with my newbieness then ill get it lol

P.S. If there is one that doesnt connect through the 4 posts through the motherboard id prefer tht because I feel like Im gonna break the MB everytime I reseat it

That cooler is excellent and comes with a back plate and screws to securely fasten the cooler. You'll have to take the motherboard out of the case to install it, but it will be worth it.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

There should be a couple of small boxes that have up and down arrows and show the fan speed as a percent. If the CPU fan is not at 100% you should be able to increase it.

If you use that Xigmatek than you definantly want to post the retention bracket for it also for obvious reasons. That bracket makes a world of difference for mounting, and applying pressure wich results in lower temps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019 $8.49 Free Shipping*
XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - Retail

CrossStealth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hey my
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835233003 $36.99

XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835233019 $8.49

Arrived today along with my other 4 gigs of ram I installed it all. My temps at desktop screen are 50-44-44-42. I feel like they should still be much lower. Do you think I need to reseat it? It has a clamp so I dont see how it could seat wrong. I used MX-2 as the thermal paste. Think I should clean it off and redo it all over?

Or do you think these temps are normal?

P.S. The case is very cluttered. I actually cut the area you put your hard drive in to give the video card a little more room to breathe. Also I have huge fans all over the place. Is this effecting my temps? Will posting new pics help?

just ask and Ill provide any info or pics

Mrbumbum

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
about how much thermal paste did you put on, describe the size (rice grain, 2 rice grain, pea) etc. From the pictures it looks like its to much, can you get a close up of just the cpu.

CrossStealth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Ok Ill go take some pics. It might take a few mins to break the pc down to get to it. I probably did use an excessive amount since This has been my first self built pc. Thats the old CPU by the way my new one was just installed

brb ASAP

CrossStealth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
ok heres some pics

the whole system
SDC11392.jpg

bottom of heatsink
SDC11394.jpg

SDC11396.jpg

SDC11399.jpg

sorry about the bad quality but I suck at using cameras.

It looks like I used too much so make some suggestions and Ill go put it back together and give it a shot.

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Umm, i know that HS is good, but its blowing the heat directly onto (what looks like) a 9800GTX, that could be really bad. Your thermal paste looks good to me, its pretty simple to apply.