Question Overheating/Instant shut down problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2019
i have a AMD FX 8300 Eight Core Processor (3.32Ghz) and its offical website says it closes itself at 70 celcius degrees. my computer usually works at 60 celsius degrees so it closes itself real quick while gaming. All fans are running at maximum speed. I want to increase the maximum heat from bios. how much heat can it stand? (e.g 80)

You've not told us what your GPU and PSU are. You've been asked I think 4 times so far.

I'm going to say it again, those temps are not too hot.

My thought on this given that CPU's have had thermal protection for the last 20 years, is that your PSU is underpowered.

Jan 9, 2019
He wants to know the hardware. Stock fans? Stock CPU cooler, Power supply, Motherboard.....

And yes does not matter if you run the fans at 10,000 rpm's they still suck in dust and hair. Its like your ceiling fan, or your House AC. You ever changed the filter on the house AC? Your PC is sucking in the same air as your Air conditioner. The filter on the Ac catches this dust. The fins one your CPU cooler and GPU cooler catches this dust in your PC.

Aug 14, 2019
You've not told us what your GPU and PSU are. You've been asked I think 4 times so far.

I'm going to say it again, those temps are not too hot.

My thought on this given that CPU's have had thermal protection for the last 20 years, is that your PSU is underpowered.
Trust me mate. PSU and GPU does not even get heated so they are okay. I am 90% sure that problem is about my cpu it usually runs at 60-70 celcius degrees and my PC closes on 80-90 celcius degrees

Jan 9, 2019
As by design. First it will start to throotle the CPU (Thermal Throttle) in an attempt to save itself. After the CPU reaches The thermal Shutdown temp then it will turn off . This is not adjustable because its built into the Chip and not the BIOS.

Your cheapest route is the Blow air on the CPU cooler and see if it helps. If not take the cooler off and reapply Thermal paste. If this does not help then get a better CPU cooler.

Ralston18

Titan
My last response on this as well.

This: " i want to increase cpu auto shut down heat but im scared".

You should be scared. Attempting to raise or otherwise override some safeguard (CPU shut down/throttle down) is not going to end well.

If you are lucky all that will happen is that you fry a few components - beginning with the CPU.

"Specs are good" - very often those specs are established under ideal conditions and otherwise presented to sell a game. Fine print often includes multiple-caveats.

The CPU is getting hot - the first line of defense is the thermal paste. The thermal paste is not there to hold the cooler to the CPU. The thermal paste's function is to help conduct heat from CPU to the cooler.

If the fans are all ready maxed out (i.e., 3500-3600 rpm) more fans will not help as the CPU will get too hot too fast for the existing fans and even more fans to become effective before the CPU throttles down or shuts down.

Before doing anything else apply new thermal paste...

If that does not help then provide additional information as has been asked and may be asked.

Aug 14, 2019
As by design. First it will start to throotle the CPU (Thermal Throttle) in an attempt to save itself. After the CPU reaches The thermal Shutdown temp then it will turn off . This is not adjustable because its built into the Chip and not the BIOS.

Your cheapest route is the Blow air on the CPU cooler and see if it helps. If not take the cooler off and reapply Thermal paste. If this does not help then get a better CPU cooler.
thanks mate. looks like the only soltion is to spend more money

Aug 14, 2019
Oh, those are new temps, very different to the ones in your first post, and very different to the picture. TBH i've spent too long asking you for the information that we need to help you diagnose your problem. As they say, I'm out.
i mean it runs on 60-70 while gaming and reaches 80-90 and shuts down

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
One thing I did not see anyone mention is that the FX processors do not post true temp numbers in things like HW Monitor, but instead you have to use the AMD software and look at how far the CPU is from max temp. I have not messed with an FX processor in years, but I remember you could never get an accurate temp from any third party software.

This link may be very useful http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html.

As to what others have mentioned I would make sure the thermal paste is applied correctly and also make sure the cpu cooler is making proper contact with the cpu. I had an 8350 that ran way too hot, so hot I could feel the heat through the side panel, and it was because the clip that the cpu cooler mounted to was cracked and the cooler had lost good contact. Good luck mate

i mean it runs on 60-70 while gaming and reaches 80-90 and shuts down
It's entirely likely the problem has nothing to do with CPU temperature...and that's just about all that you've told us.

That and you have an FX 8300. A very hot-running, high current draw, 8 core Bulldozer part that shouldn't be run on over 75% of the AM3 boards ever made. That's because those boards have low-specc'd VRM's that don't even implement proper protections in over load situations; the cheapest would just smoke down. It was a big improvement when they implemented safety shut-down when they overheat. With nothing to go on, and just banking on the odds, I'd have to guess that's what happens with yours.

But maybe not. Cause you could also have one of the garbage PSU's that can't hold 12V steady under heavy load and the motherboard blanks out because of that.

crackz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018
Your only solution is buying a good thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol to wipe the old thermal paste. During that you're gonna have the CPU heatsink and fan out of the case, so you might considering giving it a clean aswell.
If you're lazy you might consider the option below
WARNING: This will turn your room into an airport (Real talk, after u play a game for 15 minutes you will see)
Enter your BIOS and disable Cool & Quiet
Boot to Windows, install SpeedFan (there's tutorials on how to configure)
Set everything to 100% and make a schedule so it runs each time Windows starts (there's tutorials on yt)
Next: Play a game for 15 minutes and check your temps. Your RPM should go up to around 6.8k RPM unless you're using an aftermarket cooler. This method only works on the stock AMD cooler :D

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
Replace the crappy stock cooler. I have an FX-6300 in one of my PCs and while it had the stock cooler it run at 86 DEGREES CELCIUS!! It is very dangerous to run the stock cooler on FX CPUs. Also make sure the case has good airflow. If you can't run the case with the side panel taken out. It is summer and everything overheats more than normal. Take care.

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
Also check if your fans run correctly. Meaining some should be bring air inside the case and some taking out. I assume you didn't build the PC yourself if you have no idea about the specific specs of your PC go to the person that build it for you and ask him(not politely) to build a proper PC for you. Because brand new and using an FX processor does NOT cut it in 2019 especially when a Ryzen 1st Gen costs next to nothing and doubles the performance in most tasks compared to FX.