Overheating is the issue of Processor or of Heat Sink

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 6, 2018
How can we figure out that overheating is the issue of Processor or issue of Heat Sink?
I'm using i7 4790 with basic air cooler. Its idle temp is about 40 Celsius. When I run Prime 95 on it. Its temp goes to 100 Celsius in just 10 to 15 seconds. Is this problem of processor or problem of heat sink. I mean, is there any problem in Processor which causes heating or just heat sink problem.
Thanks in advance
Waiting for your response.

Solution
It's not an issue with your processor. It's an issue with You. The stock heatsink is designed to accommodate normal usage and maintain standard operating temps, which for that Intel cpu is pretty much anything below @90°C. Above 90° you'll start getting into throttle ranges and the cpu slows down to lower temperatures. But thats as far as it goes, for normal usage or @50%-60% cpu usage. Prime95 or any of the other torture testers like Intel Burn in Test, or Aida64 etc are Extreme usage, 100% use. This'll take your 84w cpu on a 95w cooler and stick it up closer to 150w on a 95w cooler, and you wonder why it reaches 100°C.

The stock cooler is not designed for Extreme usage. Period. You will need a 140w+ heatsink like CM hyper212 or...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The spec 4 can handle upto 5 fans. 2x 120mm on top, 2x 120/140 in front and 1x 120mm in rear.

I would set it up as follows.

2x 140mm in front. 2x 120mm top and 1x 120mm in rear. I'd also pair it with a Scythe Fuma Rev.b cpu cooler. That'll all come in under budget. You won't find a decent 240mm cooler for that price range unless it's used or really unpopular for a reason.

The Scythe Fuma Rev.b is a 149mm tall, twin tower cooler that's almost as good as a 160mm Noctua NH-D15S but will fit inside your 150mm case requirements easily as they are wrong, you have about 159mm of clearance. The Fuma at @$50 is by far one of the smallest footprint, most able coolers at anything close to that price, considerably better than the 145mm cryorig H7 or the 160mm CM hyper212 evo. It's also very quiet. It's ability, coupled with normal usage will mean it'll also be almost dead silent until pushed hard and being a 250w+ tower will mean it'll handle anything that i7 can dish out easily.

Jul 6, 2018

Thanks for your suggestions.