Overheating issue with CPU

KrunoslavH

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Hi,

so I have an old CPU, AMD Athlon x2 64 5600+ .
Now he suddenly started to overheat.
On idle its like 30°C but when I try to play a game or watch youtube videos he heats up to
120°C and then my PC shuts down. I did replace the thermal paste but it didn't help.
Should i get an aftermarket cooler( running on a stock cooler now)?
Please give some advice what to do because i need this PC for like 4 months, then ill be getting a new one. So please help
Thanks anyway! :D

Solution
The next step really is to replace both the PSU and or the motherboard with known working units. You can never tell if your repairs are "complete" or just a patch to get the unit working. Also the fact that the power supply did blow capacitors opens up the possibility the motherboard is damaged as well. If you can't replace these parts then the PC is, at this point, as good as dead because there is no where else to go in trouble shooting it.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Check the heatsink on the CPU. With age and usage the fins of the cooler may have gotten filled with crud and no longer allowing airflow.

toothbrush or similar stiff brush work well to clean it out, compressed air will really help. If you remove the cooler from the PC and the fan from the cooler - you can wash the metal heatsink in water - just be sure it is fully dry before re-assembling.

The likely scenario is that your CPU fan is worn and unable to keep up, it could also be a faulty sensor tripping a fail safe. If you can try to open the side of the case and point a house fan directly at the cpu while it's running. If this solves or even delays the failure then a new CPU heatsink and fan should fix the problem.

KrunoslavH

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
The side panel is always off for better cooling, I did add an additional fan to point to the CPU, also i forgot to mention that my nothbridge is also getting really hot, like you can't touch it. It may be because of the CPU but I have no idea why they are overheating.

Sounds like you PC is just dead. You could try swapping out the PSU or even the heatsink but I doubt that it will help. While I can't say for sure, my guess is that the voltage regulation on the motherboard is causing overheating. The northbridge shouldn't be getting that hot.

The next step really is to replace both the PSU and or the motherboard with known working units. You can never tell if your repairs are "complete" or just a patch to get the unit working. Also the fact that the power supply did blow capacitors opens up the possibility the motherboard is damaged as well. If you can't replace these parts then the PC is, at this point, as good as dead because there is no where else to go in trouble shooting it.

Solution