Question Overheating Issue

Jan 17, 2020
I have an i3 540 @ 3.07 GHz processor and the lowest temp that i am able to achieve is 55 C just because it's winter and when the computer start it keeps itself at that temp for like 2 minutes and then while running chrome with one tab opened they don't fall below 75 C and then whenever i start a game at the lowest settings 640x480 lowest settings in any game the temps go upto 105 C which is the highest and the computer turns off and there are two 90mm case fans one intake and other one outtake (neutral air pressure) I am using intel stock cooler and a good thermal paste from cooler master an in summers the idle temp is 68c and while youtube the temps are 100c+ please help i can't even do my work. The room temp in winter is 28 C and in summer its not more than 35 C and due to this i have changed the maximum cpu state from 100% to 50% in power plan settings

intel stock cooler is notoriously finnicky to mount, do check wether all 4 "legs" are properly fastened
This is a very common issue, or the cooler is borked in general

a good thermal paste from cooler master - how long ago did you apply said paste?

Last edited:
intel stock cooler is notoriously finnicky to mount, do check wether all 4 "legs" are properly fastened
This is a very common issue, or the cooler is borked in general

a good thermal paste from cooler master - how long ago did you apply said paste?

I can speak from experience. I had a i7-920 with the stock cooler. I figured it was just a hot chip because I frequently saw high temps on it. Also I saw that my particular stepping was known to run hotter than a more recent stepping. When I went to change out the cooler, because I wasn't a broke college student anymore and could afford to address the high temps, I found out that two of the pins on the stock HSF were broken and that poor chip had been running temp throttled for years. I felt like such an idiot. But It's still working today, with a fully seated H80i. It's not my main anymore. I mostly just use it for backup duties.

In your shoes even a budget cooler like a hyper212 is probably a marked improvement over that stock cooler.

Reactions: Quanticriver