Question Overheating issue

Mar 18, 2020
Good evening,

Can you please help me with some advice regarding the following issue -

A friend of mine is experiencing some overheating issues while playing PUBG (PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds).

The overheating is pretty bad as it quickly gets to 80 degrees :oops: for both CPU and GPU (the PC is less than a year old and has recently been cleaned, so there's no dust inside :))

After a few minutes with this temperature, windows crashes and gives a "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" error.

The configuration is:

• Case: Genesis Irid 300 Blue (with no changes made to the fans).
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M Aorus Gaming 3.
  • Processor - Intel I5 -8600.
  • Ram: 2x HyperX Fury Black 8GB DDR4, 2666.
  • HDD: 1X WD Blue 1 TB + 1 SSD Kingston A480.
  • Power source: nJoy Woden 650W.
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 1070 TI.
  • Windows 10 original.

I was thinking of recommending him to change the standard case fans with some Noctua fans (as i understand that these are maybe the best), but wanted to ask for help on if this could actually solve the issue, if and how many you'd recommend etc.

On a side note, although in BIOS settings the Temperature Warning Control is set to Enabled and 70 degrees (the same for the GPU), the PC actually makes no sound when this value is exceeded. Should it not make a beeping sound to warn you?

Thank you and kind regards!

Not sure about the warning....and the 80C GPU temp may actually be OK.....as I've had lots of GPUS run up to 80C.....but I think the CPU temp is high.

Something to try to determine if case fans will help....
Run with the case open and maybe point a desk fan towards the inside just to move the air a bit.
If the temps drop significantly....I would add case cooling.
If they don't I would look at adjusting the CPU coolers fan curve....and if that didn't do it...I would look at replacing the CPU cooler.

Mar 18, 2020
Hi and thank you for your comment.

I agree that 80 degrees might be ok for the GPU, but it's still a bit hot :oops:

Do you think that the CPU cooler should be replaced? As it's only less than 1 year of age, are there any better solutions on this side?

I was thinking, if i were to add some noctua fans to it and replace the standard ones, are there any fans that you guys recommend (should they be PWM or standard)?

Thank you :)

Hi and thank you for your comment.

I agree that 80 degrees might be ok for the GPU, but it's still a bit hot :oops:

Do you think that the CPU cooler should be replaced? As it's only less than 1 year of age, are there any better solutions on this side?

I was thinking, if i were to add some noctua fans to it and replace the standard ones, are there any fans that you guys recommend (should they be PWM or standard)?

Thank you :)
As I said...I would only add case cooling if the temperature dropped significantly when I ran with the case open.

I would also go into the BIOS and see if I could increase the fan speed via the fan curve.

If neither one of those pan out...only then would I replace the cooler.

Mar 18, 2020
Hi,

Sorry for my late reply, i am currently using the I5's stock cooler. I have tried adjusting the fan curve, but even at full RPM it's not enough to lower the temperature (hovers at around 71-72).

I think that probably having just 1 exhaust fan (the stock one) might not be enough to actually cool things.

For the GPU temp, i have been able to lower this to around 60 degrees with a custom fan curve, so that went well :)

Any suggestions? I was thinking on getting two Silent Wings 3 120mm high speed pwm fans (i initially wanted two noctua nf-p12 redux 1700 pwm) but these are unfortunately out of stock.

The silent wings 3 look really nice and seem reasonably quiet at high speed ...

I was also thinking if i should add a fan in the front, but looking at the case inside it doesn't appear like it would change much.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you and stay safe!

Mar 18, 2020
Hey guys,

In the end, i've decided on adding two Be quiet! silent wings 3 120mm PWM high speed fans (2200 RPM), one on the front and one in the back replacing the stock one AND a Be quiet! dark rock pro 4 cpu cooler. The results are exceptional and it's both cool (35 in idle, 55 full load) and silent!

This was done with a Tesseract BF case (apparently the Genesis IRID 300 is too small to fit the cpu cooler, but all the components are similar and the overheating issue existed as well)

Thank you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
According to the web, the Genesis comes with 3 case fans in front and 1 in rear.

Normally thats more than sufficient ability, however there's a gap in thinking. The rear exhaust will create a lower pressure area right in front of it, and that acts like a magnet to higher pressure air. That should be the case intakes, however the draw is strongest at the closest area to the fan, namely the giant hole in the top of the case. You literally supply the rear exhaust with fresh outside air and very little case air. This makes for lousy airflow, leaving hotspots and higher resulting temps.

My advice, either stick a second fan at the top/rear port in conjunction with the rear exhaust, or block the top entirely, forcing the rear exhaust to only pull air from the case, improving airflow.