Overheating laptop CPU with good thermal paste

Seeker21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
I've been using a laptop for about 3 years and during these years I've been always facing overheating issues with the cpu and it have given me a lot of hard times with it trying to stop this overheating but at the beginning I weren't that knowing of the laptop hardware and how to fix it. Anyways, later on I knew about the thermal paste and laptop's heating issue since many laptops come with a really bad quality thermal paste applied on the cpu so about 3 months ago I've bought a Thermaltake thermal paste with really good reviews about it on amazon so I've removed the old thermal paste with alcohol and then I wiped the cpu again before applying the thermal paste with a little amount just as said by many youtubers and sites.What shocked me after that is that I was super excited to see the amazing low temps on my cpu after these years but the temps were just almost as they were before and I even had to reapply the thermal paste again after 2 weeks as the temps went really high at the time. Also I've cleaned all the dust and I do that regularly. Just a note too in case it would help which is my cpu is made up of two metal pieces instead of one which I've never seen before in any cpu. Really this laptop is driving me crazy and buying another pc now isn't an option at all so please guys help me with this issue as it would be hugely appreciated.

It's difficult to say much without knowing what model of laptop it is and what hardware specifications it has. And also what temperatures you are getting and whether those temperatures have some actual effect on performance or stability, or if they are within reason for a laptop. And what software are you running that results in high temperatures, and what is the ambient temperature in the room when you are experiencing those temperatures?

It might simply be that the design of the laptop's cooling system is inadequate to keep up with extended heavy processing loads. Or maybe placing the system on a surface that allows better air circulation could potentially help.

It does seem like the original thermal compound probably wasn't much of a problem if new compound didn't seem to help.

Seeker21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L50-C1551. The CPU is an i5-5200u. My room temps are around 23-25* C on average but for sure in summer it's much higher and in winter lower than that. The main reason I have this laptop is for gaming although yeah it's hardware aren't that good but I don't play AAA games just averagely demanding games(more of AA games,indie,rts,black squad,paladins). Now to show you how terribly it overheats: I've underclocked my cpu from 2.2GHz(it turbo boosts to 2.7GHz if on 100% performance) to around 1.5-1.6GHz and with this extremly low speed the temp would range between 50 and 60*C when idle. Yes IDLE. When I play games it'l easily reach the high 90's even if nothing really demanding is happening in the game which is the reason I underclocked or else the temp would always be over 100 and it starts to thermal throttle. So yeah it's really terrible and what's really disturbing about it is that no matter how much i search on the internet or ask my friends none would have such a TERRIBLY overheating issue where they have to underclock so much with a perfect thermal paste and have really high temps when idle.