Question OVERHEATING- NEED HELP

Oct 1, 2019
My laptop just had a shutdown due to overheating and since that it
takes longer time to boot,I'm stuck in black screen with blinking line for 5-10 minutes. Ive tried booting to a bootable flash drive but got the same result. And also, when it finally boots sometimes im stuck in windows starting screen, and if it successfuly starts I cant open any applications and saw that my cpu is only working at 1% its capacity(base on the desktop cpu meter widget)
I've change the thermal paste and cleaned the fan and heatsink thinking that the problem might
be due to overheating.

And also to eliminate that it might be overheating, I've opened the back of the laptop and place it near an AC unit.
The heatsink is not heating much now like before but it didnt fix the booting problem.

Is it possible that my cpu speed permanently went down or is this problem caused by something else?

Thanks!

Oh boy not a good sign, you may have cooked your motherboard or cpu. Try removing the motherboard cmos battery, and remove the lap top battery, and keep the laptop unplugged from wall for 5 minutes. Then put the cmos battery back in and plug in to wall and try a startup.

Oct 1, 2019
Thanks Fix_that_Glitch.

I've just removed the hard drive from the laptop and it solved the slow booting problem. I haven't tried this earlier since I've already tested booting to a bootable flash drive and got the same slow boot time, so i thought it has nothing to do with the boot device.

I've observed the laptop with and without the hard drive on and I found out that without the hard drive, my heatsink doesn't heat that much compared when hard drive is on it. Is my HDD causing my CPU to overheat?

My HDD slows down the laptop just by being attached to it. I can say this because when i boot to my flashdrive while the hard drive is attached, booting to the flashdrive is slow but without the HDD attached it's rather fast(I've set Boot Order to boot to usb first.). I'm thinking of buying new HDD but hesitant because of this. I also don't have any other HDD to swap to so I can't confirm if a new HDD would fix it.

Any thoughts about this guys?

Thanks!

Thanks Fix_that_Glitch.

I've just removed the hard drive from the laptop and it solved the slow booting problem. I haven't tried this earlier since I've already tested booting to a bootable flash drive and got the same slow boot time, so i thought it has nothing to do with the boot device.

I've observed the laptop with and without the hard drive on and I found out that without the hard drive, my heatsink doesn't heat that much compared when hard drive is on it. Is my HDD causing my CPU to overheat?

My HDD slows down the laptop just by being attached to it. I can say this because when i boot to my flashdrive while the hard drive is attached, booting to the flashdrive is slow but without the HDD attached it's rather fast(I've set Boot Order to boot to usb first.). I'm thinking of buying new HDD but hesitant because of this. I also don't have any other HDD to swap to so I can't confirm if a new HDD would fix it.

Any thoughts about this guys?

Thanks!
It would be worth investigating health of that HDD. Once you have it boot and running, use https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php Flashing cursor indicates that BIOS can't find boot sector.

Oct 1, 2019
Thanks for the response CountMike

Sorry i forgot to mention. The HDD has indeed failed. I was actually booting to Parted Magic in my flash drive and it has an app for checking HDD health.

I was thinking of buying new HDD but I want to know first if the problem is just caused by the bad HDD or by other thing. I can't just understand how a bad HDD, when attached, can cause my laptop to heat and become slow.. I don't want the new HDD to be also broken if it's caused by something else.

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2018
My laptop just had a shutdown due to overheating

Thanks!

Thanks for the response CountMike

I was thinking of buying new HDD but I want to know first if the problem is just caused by the bad HDD or by other thing. I can't just understand how a bad HDD, when attached, can cause my laptop to heat and become slow..

Thanks!

If I may ask, how old is your laptop? I have a really old Toshiba Satellite Laptop that has the exact same issues: slowness, dead HDD, heat, and possibly fried graphics. If it's an old model (say 3-5 years old), it's better to buy a new one

Oct 1, 2019
It's an old one. I wanted to fix it if it's possible but as you've said I think I'm just gonna buy a new one.

I left the laptop without HDD for 1 hour (booted in parted magic) but after an hour the overheating problem came back and since that every time I turned the laptop on it will suddenly shutdown after a couple of minutes due to overheating. I think this is already a motherboard issue so I'm giving up.

Thanks for everyone that responded!