Question Overheating NVME SSD causing bluescreens

Jul 1, 2022
Hi, lately ive been running into some issues with my system(s).
I think its caused by my 1Tb 980 EVO that is sitting right between the CPU and GPU - i have air coolers on both...
With the side panel on the inside of the case gets pretty toasty and the SSD hits about 70C easily.
Right now i have the SSD (with the sticker) under a heatsink (without a sticker) - should i try to remove the SSD sticker?
Without the side panel on I can do whatever i want to both of my systems (older - 7600k, 1080TI, newer - 5800x, 3070) - like running doom, while doing cinebench while recording on my GPU and running furmark... - unless i start crystalmark benchmark on my system SSD - then it just bluescreens within a few seconds (but without the load crystalmark alone doesnt give it any trouble)
My motherboard does not has 2 m.2 slots, one right under the gpu (whit a heatsink) and one right between cpu and gpu..
Any ideas on how i might go about trying to solve this issue?
Right now im just running without a side pannel on which seems to keep the temp on the SSD at 60C under heavy long load (issues start at about 65+)

Is this an issue with my SSD? or is this behavior normal? Should i try to replace it under warranty? ive seen folks saying that they keep theirs at 85+C saying they dont have any issues.
Thanks for any advice

I think that is an NVMe drive.

They do run fairly hot. It likely is not defective.

Mine runs maybe 8 degrees hotter than my standard SATA 2.5 inch SSD. It will get into the 50s and occasionally 60s if I write to it for a while. Never above 70.

The spec sheet on mine says the critical temp is 80. At that point it would throttle by design.

I don't use a heatsink at all and I'm OK with my temps.

You can get a better cooler, re-arrange your existing fans, fiddle with heatsinks, or don't run software that drives temps beyond your personal comfort level....or any combination of those things.

I think its caused by my 1Tb 980 EVO that is sitting right between the CPU and GPU - i have air coolers on both...
With the side panel on the inside of the case gets pretty toasty and the SSD hits about 70C easily.
Right now i have the SSD (with the sticker) under a heatsink (without a sticker) - should i try to remove the SSD sticker?
Without the side panel on I can do whatever i want to both of my systems (older - 7600k, 1080TI, newer - 5800x, 3070) - like running doom, while doing cinebench while recording on my GPU and running furmark... - unless i start crystalmark benchmark on my system SSD - then it just bluescreens within a few seconds (but without the load crystalmark alone doesnt give it any trouble)
My motherboard does not has 2 m.2 slots, one right under the gpu (whit a heatsink) and one right between cpu and gpu..
Right now im just running without a side pannel on which seems to keep the temp on the SSD at 60C under heavy long load (issues start at about 65+)

Is this an issue with my SSD? or is this behavior normal? Should i try to replace it under warranty? ive seen folks saying that they keep theirs at 85+C saying they dont have any issues.
Thanks for any advice
Tell us about your case so we can see how many fans it can hold and what cooling options it has. Tell us how many fans you currently have and how they are installed (blowing in or out) and how their speed is controlled. Since it works well with the side panel removed it might work well with more fans so you could put the side panel back on.

Jul 1, 2022
Tell us about your case so we can see how many fans it can hold and what cooling options it has. Tell us how many fans you currently have and how they are installed (blowing in or out) and how their speed is controlled. Since it works well with the side panel removed it might work well with more fans so you could put the side panel back on.
The case is Zalman S2, i have 2x140, 600 RPM mm fans (zpi tied) as intake, cpu cooler is GELID Solutions Glacier Black and then i have the one exhaust fan included in the back of the case - the GPU is a 3xfan design with air pass through - so i think the airflow SHOULD be good enough - the only thing that is concerning is that the heatsing is directly under the heatsing of the GPU
the ssd is idling at 50C flat
so basically its full mesh front, 2 fans, one fan at the back and then a 80% of the top is also mesh with 5 fans across cpu and gpu

in the other system it did the same thing - had a full mesh front, with 1x140 mm 600rpm fan and then a gigantic hole with a 220mm fan in the side of the case that blows air directly at the GPU with a pretty decent opening in the back (without a fan)

The case is Zalman S2, i have 2x140, 600 RPM mm fans (zpi tied) as intake, cpu cooler is GELID Solutions Glacier Black and then i have the one exhaust fan included in the back of the case - the GPU is a 3xfan design with air pass through - so i think the airflow SHOULD be good enough - the only thing that is concerning is that the heatsing is directly under the heatsing of the GPU
the ssd is idling at 50C flat
so basically its full mesh front, 2 fans, one fan at the back and then a 80% of the top is also mesh with 5 fans across cpu and gpu

in the other system it did the same thing - had a full mesh front, with 1x140 mm 600rpm fan and then a gigantic hole with a 220mm fan in the side of the case that blows air directly at the GPU with a pretty decent opening in the back (without a fan)
My personal philosophy is that if I have a case which will hold 8 fans I would have 8 fans. And they wouldn't be limited to 600 rpms. In my current case I have 7 noctua 140mm fans which have a maximum speed of 1500rpms. I could have 2 more fans but I still like to have an optical drive. In my view the fact that your computer runs better with the side panel removed is proof that you need more fans with higher speeds. I would not risk expensive electronics by not spending on fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There are 2 sensors that need to be looked at in regards to M.2 drives:
-the NAND memory, which most apps report, and ideally performs better warm - not too hot and not too cool.
-the controller, which most apps don't report. Thermal throttling is more of a problem with this part, especially with Gen 4 M.2s.

Get HWINFO and monitor Drive Temperature 1(NAND) and 2(controller).

That 'sticker' is actually a paper-thin copper heatsink. Don't remove it unless you're going to put an aftermarket heatsink on it.

Thanks for any advice
Just for yuks.

Look in the bios and see if you can adjust the pcie speed of the m.2 to 3 instead of 4......test.

Jul 1, 2022
I moved the ssd from under the GPU to the slot above it and got some more testing done... The issue is with the controller. I only used CrystalDiskInfo to get the temps and it only reports the NAND temps...
Hwinfo says the controller is at 83C at idle (system drive) with the ambient temperature of 25C - and a healthy breeze from an open window right into the case, just to make sure my ventilators were not the issue...

when i tryed using CrystalDiskMark the temps shot up to 100C pretty quickly - is perhaps getting an aftermarket heatsink a good idea?
since some people asked for it, this is a simple fan diagram of my case
IMG_20220703_165118.jpg