Overheating or Bottlenecking? or Both?

Crazycocoapuff

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Not sure what category I was supposed to put this under so I put it under Systems.

So I've had a problem with either overheating or bottle necking. I have checked my temperatures in my rig and the motherboard is a hotter than supposed to be, and I am getting an extra fan for that. What I was wondering is if anyone could see if my PC is also bottle necking, since I do not know much about PC hardware.

My Specs:
AMD FX(tm)-4200 Quad Core - 3.3 ghz
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 100 Million Edition 2gb of video ram
8 Gigabytes of Ram (DDR2? not sure)
550 watt psu

Solution
Your cheapest option is a bios update, and an FX 8300. That would help alleviate the cpu bottleneck. Next best option, that would allow you reuse your ram, would be an i5 4460/4590, with an Asrock H97m Pro4. That would possibly require a new copy of Windows. You would need to go with new DDR4, for a current gen Intel chip.

If you prefer AMD, the FX 8300 route is the best option, given the board you have. You would have to wait till Zen release, for anything significantly better, AMD wise.

Crazycocoapuff

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

My motherboard is MSI 760GMA - P34 (FX)

logainofhades

Titan
Your cheapest option is a bios update, and an FX 8300. That would help alleviate the cpu bottleneck. Next best option, that would allow you reuse your ram, would be an i5 4460/4590, with an Asrock H97m Pro4. That would possibly require a new copy of Windows. You would need to go with new DDR4, for a current gen Intel chip.

If you prefer AMD, the FX 8300 route is the best option, given the board you have. You would have to wait till Zen release, for anything significantly better, AMD wise.

Solution

Crazycocoapuff

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

Thank you, I was looking into getting a new cpu anyways because I needed to upgrade sooner or later.
I appreciate your help :)