[SOLVED] Overheating Problem???

Oct 18, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
I have a used intel motherboard with some pins just a little off of center. Its worked this past year perfectly fine. I've just upgraded my cpu cooler and took my cpu off to make sure everything was a-okay, put everything back and I load up gta online. About 4 minutes into use, my pc randomly shuts off. I tried this with a few other games that put my gpu under load and they all randomly shut off at different intervals. This isn't a cooler issue as the temps stay around 50-70c under load and it went above that with my old one. Is there any chance that the pins being a little bit skewed and me reinstalling it might have done something? My pc remains operational with no malware/viruses at all. I'm completely lost of what to do now.

Solution
D
Sounds like a pin moved, bent or broke. I would advise to remove the CPU and take a close look at the socket, If you have a decent phone with macro take a photo so you can blow it up and look for issues closer.
Oct 18, 2021
I have a used intel motherboard with some pins just a little off of center. Its worked this past year perfectly fine. I've just upgraded my cpu cooler and took my cpu off to make sure everything was a-okay, put everything back and I load up gta online. About 4 minutes into use, my pc randomly shuts off. I tried this with a few other games that put my gpu under load and they all randomly shut off at different intervals. This isn't a cooler issue as the temps stay around 50-70c under load and it went above that with my old one. Is there any chance that the pins being a little bit skewed and me reinstalling it might have done something? My pc remains operational with no malware/viruses at all. I'm completely lost of what to do now.

D

Deleted member 362816

Sounds like a pin moved, bent or broke. I would advise to remove the CPU and take a close look at the socket, If you have a decent phone with macro take a photo so you can blow it up and look for issues closer.

Solution
Ideally these are likely symptoms of a PSU failure but in your case there are those bent pins too which can often have unpredictable outcome. What is your parts list, specially the PSU? Typically I would reinstall everything from scratch with proper care and see if that fixes it. If not then try a better PSU. If that fails too, then it could definitely be the bent pin which needs professional help though.

Oct 18, 2021
See, I never had this issue before and I never touched the power supply. I have however, as I mentioned reinstalled the cpu. It is very plausible that i moved a pin by accident so I'm going to try that first. Thank you very much

Oct 18, 2021
Its about the quality and efficiency of the PSU. You touching it or not has nothing to do with it.
I fixed the pins and that runs fine. I have 1 more question. I had a 3Gb card in my pc and it was pretty big so I swapped it with a diffrent 3Gb that was laying around. This one is more slim then the other one but it can't handle anything the old one could. I'm a bit confused. Shouldnt they be running the same?

D

Deleted member 362816

Its about the quality and efficiency of the PSU. You touching it or not has nothing to do with it.

In this case I really don't understand why you would assume it was the power supply. He clearly stated a pin deformation in the OG post.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I fixed the pins and that runs fine. I have 1 more question. I had a 3Gb card in my pc and it was pretty big so I swapped it with a diffrent 3Gb that was laying around. This one is more slim then the other one but it can't handle anything the old one could. I'm a bit confused. Shouldnt they be running the same?
i would make a new thread regarding gpu as you would get a wider audience.

In this case I really don't understand why you would assume it was the power supply. He clearly stated a pin deformation in the OG post.
He also stated the following...
I load up gta online. About 4 minutes into use, my pc randomly shuts off. I tried this with a few other games that put my gpu under load and they all randomly shut off at different intervals. This isn't a cooler issue as the temps stay around 50-70c under load and it went above that with my old one.
If you have a cheap Chinese garbage PSU, which the OP did not specify anywhere the make model, even with bent pins that can be a probable cause. And if you read my post again, I stated either of them to be likely cause, and not a PSU problem explicitly. When you diagnose a PC problem you have to take every probable cause as likely and right them off gradually unless you are specifically sure about the origin, which is not the case here.

Oct 18, 2021

If you have a cheap Chinese garbage PSU, which the OP did not specify anywhere the make model, even with bent pins that can be a probable cause. And if you read my post again, I stated either of them to be likely cause, and not a PSU problem explicitly. When you diagnose a PC problem you have to take every probable cause as likely and right them off gradually unless you are specifically sure about the origin, which is not the case here.
Jeez you two, stop arguing!

Oct 18, 2021

Alright, it started again and its 100% not the power supply. This time I'll label my parts and maybe that will help? I have an Asus B150M-C motherboard, 2015 intel core i5 6500 (skylake), and my psu is an Antec HCP - 100wPlatnum. Any ideas? I only touched the cpu and motherboard so i'm confident that one of those are the issue; I just don't know what one.

Alright, it started again and its 100% not the power supply. This time I'll label my parts and maybe that will help? I have an Asus B150M-C motherboard, 2015 intel core i5 6500 (skylake), and my psu is an Antec HCP - 100wPlatnum. Any ideas? I only touched the cpu and motherboard so i'm confident that one of those are the issue; I just don't know what one.
There are no tests for broken Motherboards or CPU. The only way to test them is through substitutes.
Follow this guide to the T...
If the problem still persists, take the PC to a store for them to test it for you or get your own spares.