[SOLVED] Overheating problems under heavy load, urgent help please!

Jul 2, 2020
Hello and thanks for attempting to help,

I have surfed many threads and have yet to get a definite answer to my problem in terms of my PC.
I will keep it short and concise, I have been experiencing overheating problems for the past 2 months with absolutely no upfront problem (it just started on its own).
I started experiencing very heavy load on my GPU and when I started to play large open-world maps like Squad my PC would just completely shut off due to a component overheating and an overload - (I would also like to mention I've seen my fps struggle a lot as well recently which has had me pretty pissed).
I think it would be worth mentioning that my PC case has been heating up quite a lot recently and I am not sure whether it is because of a poor airflow problem or some component just outright producing a lot of heat as my PC was built by a professional company.

My specs are:

• 1080 ti EVGA 11 GB VRAM (double fan)
  • i5 8500 3.8 GHz
  • Vengeance single slot 16 GB RAM (I know a double slot would be ideal for performance, but I doubt that it will have any effect on my overheating problems).
  • A single fan above the GPU flowing air in and 3 fans in the front blowing the air inside out
  • Arctic Alpine CPU cooler (Thermal paste was changed a week ago)

I've had multiple suggestions that I need to change my PSU, that I need to reconfigure my PCIe plugins as I have a 6+2 PCIe cable going into my GPU instead of an 8 pin to distribute the thermal side of things properly, and someone has also suggested changing my airflow in the case. I am willing to invest the money however I just want a definite answer or a few so I don't go spending loads of money on components that don't actually need to be replaced.

I am open to absolutely any questions and I can send pictures as well / run software to test the hardware.

I really want to get to the bottom of this, thank you.

Solution

I have surfed many threads and have yet to get a definite answer to my problem in terms of my PC.
I will keep it short and concise, I have been experiencing overheating problems for the past 2 months with absolutely no upfront problem (it just started on its own).
I started experiencing very heavy load on my GPU and when I started to play large open-world maps like Squad my PC would just completely shut off due to a component overheating and an overload - (I would also like to mention I've seen my fps struggle a lot as well recently which has had me pretty pissed).
I think it would be worth mentioning that my PC case has been heating up quite a lot recently and I am not sure whether it is...

I think it would be worth mentioning that my PC case has been heating up quite a lot recently and I am not sure whether it is because of a poor airflow problem or some component just outright producing a lot of heat as my PC was built by a professional company.

My specs are:

• 1080 ti EVGA 11 GB VRAM (double fan)
  • i5 8500 3.8 GHz
  • Vengeance single slot 16 GB RAM (I know a double slot would be ideal for performance, but I doubt that it will have any effect on my overheating problems).
  • A single fan above the GPU flowing air in and 3 fans in the front blowing the air inside out
  • Arctic Alpine CPU cooler (Thermal paste was changed a week ago)
I've had multiple suggestions that I need to change my PSU, that I need to reconfigure my PCIe plugins as I have a 6+2 PCIe cable going into my GPU instead of an 8 pin to distribute the thermal side of things properly, and someone has also suggested changing my airflow in the case. I am willing to invest the money however I just want a definite answer or a few so I don't go spending loads of money on components that don't actually need to be replaced.

I am open to absolutely any questions and I can send pictures as well / run software to test the hardware.

I really want to get to the bottom of this, thank you.
The only issue I see, and it’s pretty significant, is the airflow in your case. You always want an equal amount or more of cool air being introduced to the case as hot air expelled. 1 intake fan and 3 exhaust is a horrific cooling setup. Your setup sounds like the front fans are also counteracting the CPU fan trying to cool your CPU.

As an example, let’s say hypothetically the 1 intake blows in 50cfm. There’s only 50cfm to exhaust available, having anything more is wasted. Your PSU and GPU also exhaust some air. This is why typically the front fans, 2 MINIMUM, 3 if possible, intake cool air into the case. 1-2 exhaust are plenty to expel the hot air. This is your first problem.

2nd problem is most CPU coolers are bringing cool air from the front to the rear to be exhausted. In your case, your CPU fan is taking the very little amount of constrained air it receives and fights to push some of it through the heatsink fins before its expelled from the case.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A agree with the ideas above and will add some comments.

A common and effective arrangement is two or three fans as INTAKE on the front, plus EXHAUST fans at rear and top. It depends a lot on what spaces you case has, but many have space for only one rear fan, and possibly two at top. If you really have NO top or rear fans, you should add some there. They do NOT need to be "pressure" fans - rather, you need the "air flow" variety. And I encourage choosing 4-pin PWM type fans.

For the three ones you have in the front alreay, what is needed is simply to remove each, turn it around so it blows the other way, and re-mount. BEFORE you do that, please check that they ALL really are blowing OUT at the front - that's an odd arrangement to have supplied to you. While you are there, examine the area outside the front fans. There should be some sort of dust filter at the intake (outside) if those fans, and that needs to be cleaned from time to time.

Many systems would not have a fan on the case side to blow directly at the graphics card, but you seem to have that already. If you choose, leave that there. Maybe consider placing a dust filter on its intake if there is not one.

If you can, tell us the maker and model number of your motherboard. We can look up its fan header capabilities and advise how to connect up to seven case fans. ALSO. look closely at the wires coming from the fans you have. Do they have THREE wires from each fan, ending in a connector with three holes? Or, do they have 4 wires and holes? That impacts how to connect and configure the fans and their headers etc.