Question Overheating RX-570 8GB OC

Zenking9497

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
Does my card need a thermal pad/paste job? I've noticed lately that while under load my graphics card goes right to the thermal limit and stays there until it either crashes or degrades performance to the point that I have to cancel whatever I was doing. Unfortunately I didn't notice one of my case fans dying for some time, and by the time I noticed it, my card would shoot straight to 89C and performance would degrade rapidly, I bought new case fans and cleaned my system to the best of my ability, but my GPU still runs warm and within 30 seconds reaches the max allowed temp. I've toyed with the possibility that it was horrible airflow, I have removed the tempered glass side panel on my case for testing, I've also noticed that the clock speed at idle stays at 300MHz, and refuses to go under that, while the utilization bounces between 0-10%, with the fans running at default (Roughly 1100rpm) with "Zero RPM" turned off the card sits around 42C and under load the clock speed goes to 1268MHz and stays there, it doesn't fluctuate, the utilization bounces from 0-100% and the temp rockets. What I have noticed that was strange is that once I take the load off of it, it cools back down nearly as fast as it hit its thermal peak, so that makes me think that it isn't the thermal paste and maybe its software related? For some reference, at idle my CPU sits around 26-30C and under a decent load, the CPU barely reaches 40C, after installing 5 new case fans, the highest I've seen the CPU under heavy load was 47C, even with it absolutely gulping down the hot air from the GPU blowing 89C wind directly at it.

My Specs:
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 55
Mobo: Asrock B450 Pro 4
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 - No/Factory OC
CPU Cooler: Contac Silent 12 -AM4 installation bracket
Ram: 32GB G. Skill Aegis 3000MHz DDR4 -8x4 (was 16GB at 8x2)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX-570 8GB Armor OC Edition
Case Fans: UpHere 120mm x5

Idle Temp Screenshot:
https://ibb.co/pnNY30T

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Does my card need a thermal pad/paste job? I've noticed lately that while under load my graphics card goes right to the thermal limit and stays there until it either crashes or degrades performance to the point that I have to cancel whatever I was doing. Unfortunately I didn't notice one of my case fans dying for some time, and by the time I noticed it, my card would shoot straight to 89C and performance would degrade rapidly, I bought new case fans and cleaned my system to the best of my ability, but my GPU still runs warm and within 30 seconds reaches the max allowed temp. I've toyed with the possibility that it was horrible airflow, I have removed the tempered glass side panel on my case for testing, I've also noticed that the clock speed at idle stays at 300MHz, and refuses to go under that, while the utilization bounces between 0-10%, with the fans running at default (Roughly 1100rpm) with "Zero RPM" turned off the card sits around 42C and under load the clock speed goes to 1268MHz and stays there, it doesn't fluctuate, the utilization bounces from 0-100% and the temp rockets. What I have noticed that was strange is that once I take the load off of it, it cools back down nearly as fast as it hit its thermal peak, so that makes me think that it isn't the thermal paste and maybe its software related? For some reference, at idle my CPU sits around 26-30C and under a decent load, the CPU barely reaches 40C, after installing 5 new case fans, the highest I've seen the CPU under heavy load was 47C, even with it absolutely gulping down the hot air from the GPU blowing 89C wind directly at it.

My Specs:
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 55
Mobo: Asrock B450 Pro 4
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 - No/Factory OC
CPU Cooler: Contac Silent 12 -AM4 installation bracket
Ram: 32GB G. Skill Aegis 3000MHz DDR4 -8x4 (was 16GB at 8x2)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX-570 8GB Armor OC Edition
Case Fans: UpHere 120mm x5

Idle Temp Screenshot:
https://ibb.co/pnNY30T

You have the worst possible model of an RX 580, the problem with that graphics when it drops due to the weight the heatsink stops touching the pads and the chip, just put something to support it and solve it.

Zenking9497

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
Solved???
Not currently, after my last response, we got hit hard from flu season so I wasn't able to test whether it was sag that was affecting the thermals. I was however trying to figure out if I could just cut a 2x2 piece of wood short enough to prop under the card and if that would be safe or not, purely for testing, if it did fix the thermals then actually buying a proper GPU stand!

Reactions: th3reaperskullpt