Question Overheating

Mar 22, 2019
Fairly new to this pc scene, so forgive me for being a bit vague. I recently got a prebuilt (don’t bash me), and things were going fine. Now I’ve been hitting up to 83°C while on for about 25-30min. Fans are almost at max at this point . Is there anyway to pinpoint my issue , from my understanding I shouldn’t be this high that early . Any help /suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Specs: GPU/Rtx 2080 CPU/ i7-8700k (6x 3.70Ghz/12mb L3 Cache) Processor Cooling: RGB iBuyPower liquid cooling 120mm Motherboard: MSI z390-A Pro

Mar 22, 2019
Thanks for the response! I’m usually gaming and streaming at the same time . I’m not sure if it’s overclocked as I got it as a prebuilt . Is this concerning or is it ok ? I messaged ibuypower and they recommended me to exchange my Gpu and water cooler. But since I’m still learning I’m a bit worried having to take things out .

For an i7-8700k that is not delidded, you could have high temperatures. Based on the water cooling unit you have, I am not surprised at your temperatures. If you can delid, you would immediately take 15-20C degrees off of your temperatures. Then getting a 240mm or 280mm or maybe even getting a 360mm water cooling unit would help you.

You would need to ensure that any change in your cooling would fit inside your case.

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks for the response! I’m usually gaming and streaming at the same time . I’m not sure if it’s overclocked as I got it as a prebuilt . Is this concerning or is it ok ? I messaged ibuypower and they recommended me to exchange my Gpu and water cooler. But since I’m still learning I’m a bit worried having to take things out .
83C for regular use is too hot, can you list the exact model you bought?

Mar 22, 2019
not quite sure what you mean by model but here are my specs :
GPU : WindForce RTX 2080 8GB

CPU : i7-8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z390 A-Pro

Memory : XPG Z1 16 GB [2x(8GB)] DDR4 3000 MHz

Power Supply : 650 Watt - 80 Plus Gold

240GB Western Digital Green SSD + 2TB 7200RPM SeaGate HD

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ibuypower doesn't really do 'better' cooling. They prefer to send stock coolers on amd and the 'upgrade' for coolerless models is an asetek 120mm 'liquid cooling' because that's special and you can OC on liquid cooling. Since op is relatively clueless at this point about the nuances of building a pc, my suggestion would be to remove the liquid cooler, after much reviewing about how its done, take some pictures, box it up and stick it on ebay. Replace with a high end aircooler or Evga CLC 240/280 which mounts the same way as that 120MM. He can think about delidding after much more intensive research into do's and don'ts and why's.

Reactions: JasonCastle98
Mar 22, 2019
Ibuypower doesn't really do 'better' cooling. They prefer to send stock coolers on amd and the 'upgrade' for coolerless models is an asetek 120mm 'liquid cooling' because that's special and you can OC on liquid cooling. Since op is relatively clueless at this point about the nuances of building a pc, my suggestion would be to remove the liquid cooler, after much reviewing about how its done, take some pictures, box it up and stick it on ebay. Replace with a high end aircooler or Evga CLC 240/280 which mounts the same way as that 120MM. He can think about delidding after much more intensive research into do's and don'ts and why's.
Would it be fine to run at these temps till I do upgrade it ? I just want to be able to use my computer without it getting damaged till I can fix this issue

I suspect that they want you to return your GPU so that they can send you a lower end GPU that doesn’t get as hot. Well, maybe they want to send you a blower style that shoots the hot air out the back of the case, but I don’t trust them. Check here first before considering an exchange.

TRENDING THREADS