[SOLVED] Overheating

Techdevil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Hi Guys, I'm running a Phenom II 955 Black with a Radeon 7950 DD and having trouble keeping the temperatues down. I think the main trouble is the video card sitting at the bottom of the case like a radiator. With BG3 immminent im concerned about having to upgrade, as a single parent with 2 young boys to look after i need to keep the cost down, but would really love to get into BG3.
Any suggestions?

Solution
Ok, in the first picture, you have no rear exhaust fan. In the second picture you do...

I saw the 80mm side panel fan in your first picture.

Are there any front intake fans?

Sticking the GPU in the bottom slot like that is going to cause the GPU to heat up more. That heat needs to exit the case somewhere, and that location is the PSU fan and the open/occupied rear case fan. The heat is still going past the CPU area. Very little heat/airflow goes out the slotted expansion bracket of the GPU.

Turning your CPU heatsink so the fan points out the back of the case instead of up into the PSU is likely the best orientation.

The fact that having the side panel off doesn't improve CPU temps, but turning the case on its side tells me...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Full system specs to get started. Can't really tell you why it is overheating if we don't know what is used for cooling. GPU acting as a radiator, kind of what the heatsink is for. What you do with the heat after that is up to your case and fans, which you didn't mention.

As for BG3, you more than meet the minimum system specs as it is listed now. CPU might be a little borderline, but all they list is 'i5'

Please give actual temps. Don't just say "it's overheating". Also fan speeds are important to know. 80C @ 3000rpm fans is a lot different than 80C @ 900rpm fans.

Take the side panel off the case and try again. If temps drop significantly, you'll know you've got a case airflow problem to deal with.

Also, has this overheating always been an issue, or did it recently get worse? If so, you may just need to reapply thermal paste to the CPU and/or GPU.

Last edited:

Techdevil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Ok, sorry if i was a little vague before.
Mainboard is a MSI 870A-G54
CPU Phenom II 955 Black Quad core
RAM is 8GB of DR1333 (Hyper X i think)
Video Card is the Radeon XFX 7950 DD
PSU is XFX Pro 1050W Black
Sorry can't remember the name of the CPU Cooler but i'll attach a pic or two for reference.
Running Windows 10.
https://pasteboard.co/IYJGTCg.jpg

Current temps while just typing this up, with side off of case are cpu averaging 52c and Video card @ 63c. If i try to play any games for any amount of time, even with reduced settings it shuts me down (CPU hits over 90c) and i have to wait for cooldown :(

Ok, so your CPU is the problem, not your GPU.
Is the CPU fan spinning fast(er) when it's hitting 90C?

Take off the CPU cooler (and clean the fins), remove the thermal paste from the cooler and the CPU using a plastic card (credit card) for the big stuff and then rubbing alcohol to get everything clean, then apply a blob in the middle of the CPU the size of a grain of rice, and screw the heatsink back down.

Reactions: stonecarver

Techdevil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Ok, so your CPU is the problem, not your GPU.
Is the CPU fan spinning fast(er) when it's hitting 90C?

Take off the CPU cooler (and clean the fins), remove the thermal paste from the cooler and the CPU using a plastic card (credit card) for the big stuff and then rubbing alcohol to get everything clean, then apply a blob in the middle of the CPU the size of a grain of rice, and screw the heatsink back down.
Already done all that. Even got some Arctic Silver 5. CPU cooler fan is constantly running at 100%, but i think i might have had a breakthrough. I've tried relocating my base unit and keeping it on its side, so that the GPU is no longer at the bottom of the case. With the cover open im getting much better results in its no location......Going to try modding my case so that it gets some extra ventillation for the video card, try to prevent any thermal buildup. Thanks for the advice all the same, much appreciated.

Do you guys know of any better CPU coolers, effective but no too pricey?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
check the amd image and try to install it so fan will push air out to back you could also had a fan in the back to take hot air out also do you have any fans in the front of the case to take fresh air in even if you get a better cooler it have to be install same way as picture for amd and fit in your case so give us name and model of case .

Already done all that. Even got some Arctic Silver 5. CPU cooler fan is constantly running at 100%, but i think i might have had a breakthrough. I've tried relocating my base unit and keeping it on its side, so that the GPU is no longer at the bottom of the case. With the cover open im getting much better results in its no location......Going to try modding my case so that it gets some extra ventillation for the video card, try to prevent any thermal buildup. Thanks for the advice all the same, much appreciated.
Did you mean to type that your GRAPHICS CARD is hitting 90C earlier and just typed the abbreviation for processor? What you just described should have little/no influence on your CPU temps.

What case do you have and what size case fans, blowing which direction (intake exhaust), and where?

WHY ISN'T YOUR GPU IN THE BLUE PCIE X16 WHERE IT BELONGS!?!! (just noticed)

Techdevil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Did you mean to type that your GRAPHICS CARD is hitting 90C earlier and just typed the abbreviation for processor? What you just described should have little/no influence on your CPU temps.

What case do you have and what size case fans, blowing which direction (intake exhaust), and where?

WHY ISN'T YOUR GPU IN THE BLUE PCIE X16 WHERE IT BELONGS!?!! (just noticed)
Nope my processor was hitting 90c, hence the shutdowns. The video card is in the bottom Blue slot, my mainboard has 2. I put it in the bottom one to keep it futher away from the CPU. The video card is below the CPU so when it (the video card) gets too hot, the heat rising from it overpowers the ability of my CPU cooler and the system shuts down. Now i have the case on its side, and in a better ventilated area of the room, the issue are less than before.
I've purchased some stainless steel scrren and gonna try making some extra venting on my case. need to cut a couple of holes and fix the screening in place. im hoping this wil improve the airflow.

Case Picture Was the best i could afford at the time

Ok, in the first picture, you have no rear exhaust fan. In the second picture you do...

Sticking the GPU in the bottom slot like that is going to cause the GPU to heat up more. That heat needs to exit the case somewhere, and that location is the PSU fan and the open/occupied rear case fan. The heat is still going past the CPU area. Very little heat/airflow goes out the slotted expansion bracket of the GPU.

Turning your CPU heatsink so the fan points out the back of the case instead of up into the PSU is likely the best orientation.

The fact that having the side panel off doesn't improve CPU temps, but turning the case on its side tells me you've got a mounting pressure (or lack thereof) issue on the CPU heatsink. Maybe laying the case on its side allows the weight of the CPU heatsink to keep it fully seated atop the CPU. This needs to be investigated further.

Maybe you need to afford a new case? Can get something much better for $60 or less.

Last edited:
Solution

Techdevil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012

The fact that having the side panel off doesn't improve CPU temps, but turning the case on its side tells me you've got a mounting pressure (or lack thereof) issue on the CPU heatsink. Maybe laying the case on its side allows the weight of the CPU heatsink to keep it fully seated atop the CPU. This needs to be investigated further.

Maybe you need to afford a new case? Can get something much better for $60 or less.
There is a front intake, a 120mm fan.
I tried moving the video card to the other slot, thanks its something i should've tried before. much better running temps from the GPU, idles at about 47c now, at least 5c better. i'll test it under load later.
Can't move the CPU cooler, the retention bracket only fits one way. I did remove the cooler to see if i could alter it, but its this way or nothing.
I have seen a Coolermaster CPU watercooler with a single fan/radiator, for about the same price as a case i was considering (CIT Dark Soul). Next month i should be able to hopefully afford one or the other.....I'll see how the testing goes until then.
Tanks again for the advice and insights (y)

TRENDING THREADS