[SOLVED] Overheating?

hookturn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
I have a two year old ASUS PC with an i5 quad core. On Speccy it said my system temp was 121c on Speedfan it said the same, but all the cores are well within the ranges they should be. I would think that if my system was running that hot the PC would have shut down. Honestly I don't know what it is saying when it's giving me 'system' temp. Can someone tell me what is going on?

Solution
hookturn,

It's highly likely that Speccy and SpeedFan are attempting to read a non-existent sensor input, which is often typical, as "system temp" normally refers to a motherboard device, where 121°C is completely unrealistic.

As CountMike suggested, download the "Portable" version of HWiNFO (Hardware Info). It is frequently updated and trusted for its accuracy, but is sometimes confused with Hardware Monitor, which is less accurate, is only updated occasionally and is therefore not recommended.

Run HWiNFO using "Sensors Only". It's a very detailed utility, whereas Core Temp is a simple, lightweight utility that's also frequently updated and accurate. AIDA64 is trialware...
I have a two year old ASUS PC with an i5 quad core. On Speccy it said my system temp was 121c on Speedfan it said the same, but all the cores are well within the ranges they should be. I would think that if my system was running that hot the PC would have shut down. Honestly I don't know what it is saying when it's giving me 'system' temp. Can someone tell me what is going on?
Those programs are obviously wrong, all CPUs will shut down before that reaches. Try some reliable ones like HWinfo64 or Aida or Core temp.

Reactions: CompuTronix

CompuTronix

Intel Master
hookturn,

It's highly likely that Speccy and SpeedFan are attempting to read a non-existent sensor input, which is often typical, as "system temp" normally refers to a motherboard device, where 121°C is completely unrealistic.

As CountMike suggested, download the "Portable" version of HWiNFO (Hardware Info). It is frequently updated and trusted for its accuracy, but is sometimes confused with Hardware Monitor, which is less accurate, is only updated occasionally and is therefore not recommended.

Run HWiNFO using "Sensors Only". It's a very detailed utility, whereas Core Temp is a simple, lightweight utility that's also frequently updated and accurate. AIDA64 is trialware that has a 30 day expiration, which is annoying.

Regardless, I suggest that you disregard "system temp 121°C" and insteads focus on "Core" temperatures, which are your most critical values. "Throttle" temperature for your recent generation i5 is 100°C, but it should not run that hot.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Also, keep in mind that Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature, for which the International Standard (normal) is 22°C or 72°F.

CT :sol:

Solution