Question Overheating

daba6796

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
I have a 3 year old intel i7 8700 cpu and lately it has been hitting temperatures as high as 91 degrees celcius. I just bought a new motherboard (MSI PRO B365M PRO-VDH LGA 1151) and a brand new CPU Cooler (be quiet! pure rock 2) and applied thermal paste to try and solve this and nothing has worked. It used to just hit these high temps and never constantly be there but today after playing Call of Duty for an expended period of time my fps dropped from 150-160 to as low as 50 and the temps were high 80s and rising quickly so i shut the game off and everything dropped back down. Is there anything i can do to fix this issue or find out what the problem is specifically?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not much to it, other than you likely didn't install the cpu cooler and the cooler back plate correctly. One of the signs of a bad mount is runaway thermals.
I do have one other idea, but do try uninstalling and reinstalling the cooler and back plate.

Does this happen in other titles?
Which CoD?

daba6796

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
Not much to it, other than you likely didn't install the cpu cooler and the cooler back plate correctly. One of the signs of a bad mount is runaway thermals.
I do have one other idea, but do try uninstalling and reinstalling the cooler and back plate.

Does this happen in other titles?
Which CoD?

It happened while playing Cold War the newest one. I was in a zombies game for like 2 hours and my fps dropped and temps went crazy so i instantly quit the game.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That game runs AVX instruction set.
Trivia: AVX is faster than the standard SSE instructions at the same frequencies, but has higher power and voltage demands, thus higher operating thermals.

Do you have the same experience(high thermals) in other games - assuming you have other games?

daba6796

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
That game runs AVX instruction set.
Trivia: AVX is faster than the standard SSE instructions at the same frequencies, but has higher power and voltage demands, thus higher operating thermals.

Do you have the same experience(high thermals) in other games - assuming you have other games?

Before i replaced my motherboard and cooler i had a temp problem with cyberpunk. It reached 91 degrees Celcius. But other than that no. And i never had that kind of an fps drop and constant high temps like that before today. It would jump up that high but never remain there constantly.

daba6796

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
Err, that game also seems to run AVX... got any others, because so far, I just suspect insufficient cooler.

Have you tried remounting/repasting the cooler and back plate?

My brother (who built the pc for me) insists that the cooler is placed tightly and correctly and when i feel it there is no wiggle room. He tried cranking up the cpu cooler fan and running a CPU "torture stress test" and the highest temp was 81. Im gonna play another 2 hours of zombies and see what happens. If it does mess up again we will remount everything like you said. What was the other idea you had in mind?

Edit: All the other games i play don't give insanely high temps like what happened today but i do notice my cpu reaching, not constant, but reaching higher temps. Games like Hitman 3, or destiny 2 or star wars fallen order

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My brother (who built the pc for me) insists that the cooler is placed tightly and correctly and when i feel it there is no wiggle room. He tried cranking up the cpu cooler fan and running a CPU "torture stress test" and the highest temp was 81. Im gonna play another 2 hours of zombies and see what happens. If it does mess up again we will remount everything like you said.

Edit: All the other games i play don't give insanely high temps like what happened today but i do notice my cpu reaching, not constant, but reaching higher temps. Games like Hitman 3, or destiny 2 or star wars fallen order
It does sound like the cooler is mounted correctly, since you don't observe the same behavior in other tasks... but the current cooler is a bit inadequate for those 2 particular games because of AVX.

What was the other idea you had in mind?
That Intel's TIM between the IHS and die had dried out; no amount of remounting and replacing coolers would fix that... thanks to your latest post, that doesn't appear to be the issue.

daba6796

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
It does sound like the cooler is mounted correctly, since you don't observe the same behavior in other tasks... but the current cooler is a bit inadequate for those 2 particular games because of AVX.

That Intel's TIM between the IHS and die had dried out; no amount of remounting and replacing coolers would fix that... thanks to your latest post, that doesn't appear to be the issue.

So far, cranking up the cpu cooler fan has kept the temps way lower. Peaking at 75 degrees celcius after playing roughly the same amount of time as before. Hopefully this fixes this problem for good. If it happens again ill see what remounting the cooler does. Thanks for the help.