[SOLVED] Overheating ?

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
I've Asus Phoenix GTX 1660 OC, and it has bad cooling because it got 1 single fan, also it reached 89C in test [I've set temp limit to 90c], is that safe ? also is there another trick to cool it down ? should i replace thermal paste too ?

Solution
I don't think it's the fan, but that piddly little heatsink that probably can't handle more than 100w of heat, being made to handle BOTH the gpu core and the GDDR6 Vram.
iu
That looks like the same aluminum heatsink + copper core that gets used for the Intel downdraft coolers.

No, 89C isn't safe. Put the temp limit back to the default 83C, please. If you could keep thermals under that, it would be a bit more reassuring.
I couldn't find the Vbios for the 1660 model, but the following is the 1660 Super one, which shouldn't be all that different...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think it's the fan, but that piddly little heatsink that probably can't handle more than 100w of heat, being made to handle BOTH the gpu core and the GDDR6 Vram.
iu
That looks like the same aluminum heatsink + copper core that gets used for the Intel downdraft coolers.

No, 89C isn't safe. Put the temp limit back to the default 83C, please. If you could keep thermals under that, it would be a bit more reassuring.
I couldn't find the Vbios for the 1660 model, but the following is the 1660 Super one, which shouldn't be all that different: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/214985/asus-gtx1660super-6144-190911

What can you do? There aren't many options available, since the 'bottleneck' here is the heatsink.
If the heatsink's capacity is low, replacing the stock paste + the thermal pads for the Vram should enhance thermal transfer, and that's about it; they won't improve the heatsink's capacity.

Paste: It's gotta be something thick and sticky, like Cooler Master's Mastergel Maker, for example. The silicon die is completely different from the grainy cpu IHS - it's comparable to glass, and more fluid pastes like the popular Arctic MX-4, don't do as well here.

Pads: This one could be more trouble than it's worth, because the size of pads used is different between cards. You won't be able to find out unless someone has already measured them on a forum, or Asus is nice enough to tell you.
You also need thermal tape for use with the pads.

The single fan: Crank it up if you weren't already.

TL;DR: The fan is capable. The heatsink is another story. Restore thermal limit back to default 83C.

Solution

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
iu

I couldn't find the Vbios for the 1660 model, but the following is the 1660 Super one, which shouldn't be all that different: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/214985/asus-gtx1660super-6144-190911

What can you do? There aren't many options available, since the 'bottleneck' here is the heatsink.
If the heatsink's capacity is low, replacing the stock paste + the thermal pads for the Vram should enhance thermal transfer, and that's about it; they won't improve the heatsink's capacity.

Paste: It's gotta be something thick and sticky, like Cooler Master's Mastergel Maker, for example. The silicon die is completely different from the grainy cpu IHS - it's comparable to glass, and more fluid pastes like the popular Arctic MX-4, don't do as well here.

Pads: This one could be more trouble than it's worth, because the size of pads used is different between cards. You won't be able to find out unless someone has already measured them on a forum, or Asus is nice enough to tell you.
You also need thermal tape for use with the pads.

The single fan: Crank it up if you weren't already.

TL;DR: The fan is capable. The heatsink is another story. Restore thermal limit back to default 83C.
Thanks for the long explaining, do you think if I remove the heatsinks and add 2 80mm fans on it ? It's going to look ugly but would the temp decrease ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the long explaining, do you think if I remove the heatsinks and add 2 80mm fans on it ? It's going to look ugly but would the temp decrease ?
If you replace the heatsink with another heatsink.
Forget the plastic shroud, you can't NOT have a heatsink on there, and GDDR6 ram runs too hot to cool on just air alone.

I don't know of any DIY coolers compatible with the Phoenix's PCB either, be it Raijintek, Arctic, Alphacool, NZXT... none of them have anything for that card.

ASUS phoenix models are entry level and have mediocre coolers not intended for overclocking. 89c is quite high and I would reccomend keeping temps below 80-85c ideally.

Upgrading the cooler on this card is mostly a waste of money as the extra overclocking headroom cause by an aftermarket cooler will be very small due to limits discussed in your other thread. Not sure why you started another for this.

Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan arrangement.
I bet if you took the side covers off the case and directed a house fan at the innards, all would be just fine.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
Actually I kinda fixed the problem, I've set all of my case fans to 100% speed, also I've set my gpu speed to 100%, I've getting around 79c to 81c, is that fine ?