Itxi

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hello everyone :)

I recently purchased an asus p5q-e from ebay, the first day it worked fine (installed windows, ran a few games) But the next day it just rebooted halfway through updating the gpu drivers. And it's been doing the same on and off ever since (about 2 days now). My processor is an intel core 2 duo, 2GHz

Now, the ebay seller has a returns policy, but to be frank I'm not too sure how much I trust this guy anymore. Plus it's going to be about another £40 and a two week wait to get another board from them. So I wondered if this problem was fixable by myself.

The components are all fine and work in my old board, I have tried running this new mobo on a piece of cardboard on my desk to ensure that it's not grounding on the case. Reset the CMOS, including leaving the battery out for several hours, tried two PSUs and tested the memory.

The symptoms: Will run fine for up to half an hour at first, then reboot without warning. Subsequent reboots happen more often (eventually not even making post) and also produce a kind of hissing/crackling noise from near the cpu.

I suspect a capacitor is overheating (since the problem goes away after a while and worsens until left). However, I can not see any bulging or leaking capacitors, nor do any of the heatsinks feel very warm, the cpu is not overheating (barely making it to 30 C)

I would very much appreciate any advice, thankyou. :)