Lodocarbo

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
Hi folks,
I am building my next gaming PC, in order to play games and possibly stream on my LG 34" 1440p ultrawide @ 144hz (LG 22" 1680x1050 second screen) ----> Partial build here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/82HM4d

I have already upgraded my RAM, and hopefully find a nice 3080ti to pair with the Ryzen 5900x

The p600s supports 360mm rads front and top and 420 on the front. Since here in switzerland I can get the Artic liquid freezer II 360mm for around 90 USD or the 420mm for 110 USD, what is the best choice? I was initially thinking to go air cooling with a Dark Rock Pro 4 but since sometimes i move my case, and the price difference is not alot, and all those positive reviews, i am leaning to the big AIOs

Looking forward for your comments. :D

Solution
It's not a major tradeoff to mount the hybrid cooler up top. 420mm is big enough to cool both the cpu and reasonably handle whatever volume of gpu heat that passes through it, so don't fret.

Fractal Meshify XL 2 or Phanteks p600s
Pick whichever one you like more.
IMO:
-P600S is one sexy looking chassis, and I wish I'd waited a little longer before snatching up a H500P Mesh - it does what I need it to do, and has plenty of room for my components, so no need to change it for some time.

-Meshify 2 XL is bloody MASSIVE. I had a similarly large chassis, NZXT Phantom 820...
Then real life happened, and now I have back problems; the 820 became too much trouble to lug around for maintenance and other things, so I had to retire it for...
As you move your case I would go AIO as it’s less stress on the cpu socket. A reason I went AIO. I’m running a 3700x on a 360mm AIO, it’s completely overkill but I got it for less than the 240mm. However it’s been great, I can run fans and pump in balanced mode (iCue software) which runs both at 1/2 speed. Even under stress testing the cpu in balanced mode the system is silent and with great temperatures. Not sure I would have got the same with a 240mm. In your position with such a small price difference Id be very tempted to go 420mm.

Reactions: Lodocarbo

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Would not look at it as overkill but more of loop layout. If it were me and could buy the artic freezers for that price would do a 360mm + 420mm if it fit in case nicely. Would check a little to see if everything fit ok. Case manufacturer can't consider difference combinations when we have to fit a radiator but certain combination might not clear vrm heatsinks, etc...

Lodocarbo

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
Would not look at it as overkill but more of loop layout. If it were me and could buy the artic freezers for that price would do a 360mm + 420mm if it fit in case nicely. Would check a little to see if everything fit ok. Case manufacturer can't consider difference combinations when we have to fit a radiator but certain combination might not clear vrm heatsinks, etc...

You mean mod one of the AIO to use it for the GPU?

the big concern is fitment when you are looking at rads that big. You'll need to verify the fittings wont interfere and that the tubes are long enough to reach from 420mm away.

Personally, I'd get the 420. There is a very limited opportunity cost for spending the extra 20 bucks to get the 420. If it doesn't fit you can return it and get the 360. And the extra cost isn't likely to prevent you from getting an upgrade somewhere else.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think you're at the point where it wouldn't matter which of the 2 you went with.
I am curious about whether Arctic was able to get around the weaknesses of hybrid coolers - the 420mm model may not offer anything over the 360mm one.

I've been waiting to see reviews on this one because of it - and doggone it, Gamers' Nexus had a chance to review it, but the majority voted for a darn Scythe cooler, of which there are already reviews available... just not from GN.
UGH.

Last edited:

Lodocarbo

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
They may offer one made just for the gpu's.. Have seen some companies do. They would mount differently.

If you add cpu AIO and then maybe later add gpu AIO then need maybe consider placement a little more. Would cpu rad be up top and gpu in front.

Yes my other concern is that there are not many MID sized ATX cases that support 420s, p600s does, but in front and with the tubes up. the 360mm fits in the top as well as front. I heard front mounted is best for temps

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Front mounted is the best for thermals, but you'll be able to keep it there longer with tubing down than tubing up.
Unfortunately, many cases are 'too long' from the front of the chassis to the mobo to do tubing down... or you could also say that manufacturers don't make the tubing on their hybrids long enough(400mm max, usually).

Lodocarbo

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
Front mounted is the best for thermals, but you'll be able to keep it there longer with tubing down than tubing up.
Unfortunately, many cases are 'too long' from the front of the chassis to the mobo to do tubing down... or you could also say that manufacturers don't make the tubing on their hybrids long enough(400mm max, usually).
Actually the Artic liquid cooler has 450mm which is good. the problem tho is the fact that the bottom plate prevents from making the tube pass, and also GPUs are super long these days :(

I don't see the 5900X as an overly hot processor.

One problem with a front mount aio is that you need to have the cooling sources on the bottom, otherwise the inevitable air bubbles will reduce your cooling and lead to premature failure.
Unfortunately, on most cases, the cooling tubes are not long enough to go over the graphics card,
I saw a very disturbing video on this recently.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

Top mount is safer.

Lodocarbo

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
I don't see the 5900X as an overly hot processor.

One problem with a front mount aio is that you need to have the cooling sources on the bottom, otherwise the inevitable air bubbles will reduce your cooling and lead to premature failure.
Unfortunately, on most cases, the cooling tubes are not long enough to go over the graphics card,
I saw a very disturbing video on this recently.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

Top mount is safer.
I saw it as well unfortunately :(

I have two options I think. Either switch cooler or case.

Fractal Meshify XL 2 420mm AIO mounted on top
or Phanteks p600s 280mm on front or 360mm on top or front

What u think guys?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not a major tradeoff to mount the hybrid cooler up top. 420mm is big enough to cool both the cpu and reasonably handle whatever volume of gpu heat that passes through it, so don't fret.

Fractal Meshify XL 2 or Phanteks p600s
IMO:
-P600S is one sexy looking chassis, and I wish I'd waited a little longer before snatching up a H500P Mesh - it does what I need it to do, and has plenty of room for my components, so no need to change it for some time.

-Meshify 2 XL is bloody MASSIVE. I had a similarly large chassis, NZXT Phantom 820...
Then real life happened, and now I have back problems; the 820 became too much trouble to lug around for maintenance and other things, so I had to retire it for something a little smaller and lighter.

Solution
I saw it as well unfortunately :(

I have two options I think. Either switch cooler or case.

Fractal Meshify XL 2 420mm AIO mounted on top
or Phanteks p600s 280mm on front or 360mm on top or front

What u think guys?
Use a top mount. of whatever aio you want.
Your motherboard and graphics card will benefit from the front intake airflow.

In a well ventilated case, I would use a top twin tower air cooler like noctua NH-D15s .

Lodocarbo

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016

IMO:

Then real life happened, and now I have back problems; the 820 became too much trouble to lug around for maintenance and other things, so I had to retire it for something a little smaller and lighter.
Yeah the Phanteks is a sexy beast, I'll probably settle with that one with the 360mm on top :D sad tho because the 420mm its just 5 euros more and much more silent i bet