Overly loud computer (Possibly GPU)

Mar 7, 2018
I recently noticed my computer is overly loud, it's quite annoying. I tried fixing it by buying a new CPU as I thought that was the issue, when I installed the new CPU I was disapointed to find out it had absolutely no impact on the noise, so that leaves me with the GPU. I am currently using a Gigabyte AMD R7 360, I'm not sure if this card is normally this loud, I even took apart the card and cleaned it/replaced thermal paste. I was playing BFBC2 today and it got extremely loud to the point I couldn't stand it. As soon as I got off the game it started to decrease in volume to it's normal volume, so please help me out if you got any tips on what I should do. If all else fails I'm gonna have to sell some of my parts to buy a new GPU

Solution
Lets take a step back. The issue is noise. Processors (the chip), motherboards, and RAM do not make noise as they have no moving parts besides electrons. If noise is the issue then the issue is:

CPU cooler: They can be noisy. Especially stock Intel ones. You can run a CPU stress test with OCCT to check your CPU noise at max load. This will help you determine if it's the CPU cooler that is the issue. There are many cheap and quiet CPU coolers. I use the Be Quiet! Pure Rock.

Graphics card: All gaming graphics cards have powerful fans. Some have 2-3 and they gets will get noisy at max power no matter what you do. Unless you want to set up a custom water cooling loop there is no avoiding the noise these cards will make. Without the fans...

Endre555

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
Your CPU or GPU or anything that not moves got nothing to do with it. I'm 99.999% sure one (or maybe more) of your fans are the problem. First try to find the one that is loud (there may be multiple loud ones) and lubricate the problematic fans' bearings, and if they are still loud, then replace it/them.

Mar 7, 2018

I just bought Corsair LED AF120/140 fans, both are pretty quiet.

jr9

Estimable
Lets take a step back. The issue is noise. Processors (the chip), motherboards, and RAM do not make noise as they have no moving parts besides electrons. If noise is the issue then the issue is:

CPU cooler: They can be noisy. Especially stock Intel ones. You can run a CPU stress test with OCCT to check your CPU noise at max load. This will help you determine if it's the CPU cooler that is the issue. There are many cheap and quiet CPU coolers. I use the Be Quiet! Pure Rock.

Graphics card: All gaming graphics cards have powerful fans. Some have 2-3 and they gets will get noisy at max power no matter what you do. Unless you want to set up a custom water cooling loop there is no avoiding the noise these cards will make. Without the fans they will melt. If you try to force the fans to a slower speed the graphics card generally will overheat. OCCT can stress just the graphics card and tell you if it's that which is noisy.

Case fans: Quieter versions of these can be purchased. You can also reduce number of case fans to reduce noise or remove fans altogether. The minimum is generally 2 fans; one intake and one exhaist.

Power supply: Same as fans. There are quiet PSU units available.

Solution
Mar 7, 2018
I ran a 1080p 8x Anti Aliasing stress test on my GPU and there was virtually no impact on the noise, tried a CPU stress test and the volume spiked up to the point it was too loud to hear anything else, so I'm gonna have to buy a new CPU fan, I'm clueless to which one I should buy

jr9

Estimable
The be quiet! PURE ROCK is a great CPU cooler that has decent performance and also is very quiet. I use it myself and I'm someone who really values silence. As long as you don't have a small case it will fit. '

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13C-001F-00005

Hyper 212 EVO is cheaper but a litter louder but still nowhere near an Intel stock cooler. This cooler is very good value.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=hyper_212_evo-_-35-103-099-_-Product

Mar 7, 2018

Thanks! probably gonna go with the Hyper 212 considering its more in my price range

TRENDING THREADS