[SOLVED] Overpowering my PSU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 24, 2020
So I have a RTX 2060 and a i7 9700 but i have a 450W power supply. I was wondering if i launch a intensive game like CoD: Warzone what will happen if my gpu and cpu overpower my PSU and is 450W even enough?

Solution
He has a
Integra M 550W
Would just stick with that XFX if so, it's not that bad and should have enough power for the parts used. Just save up some money for something better if you are going to upgrade.

If you get into problems do look at the psu and upgrade to something good quality.
Mar 24, 2020
Well you could say "I took the risk". I launched warzone and it was running very well. My pc was loud as hell but I doubt that was due to the PSU. Now I do not if there is any long term damage that could be made but for now i didnt experience any problems running the game. I do however plan on buying a new PSU but not atm. Now either I will buy a brand new thermaltake rgb 600w PSU or I will buy a used 550W PSU from my friend since he is getting a upgrade.

Well you could say "I took the risk". I launched warzone and it was running very well. My pc was loud as hell but I doubt that was due to the PSU. Now I do not if there is any long term damage that could be made but for now i didnt experience any problems running the game. I do however plan on buying a new PSU but not atm. Now either I will buy a brand new thermaltake rgb 600w PSU or I will buy a used 550W PSU from my friend since he is getting a upgrade.

Just don't... get something decent if you plan on buying a new PSU. Buying used isn't a great idea either.

Thermaltake are pretty well known for their mediocre quality models... only their really expensive, high end stuff starts to get decent.

If you want to get by with a budget friendly unit, Corsair CX/CXM(2017) is great... 550W being enough.

It's hard to tell the "damage", we can only warn you. I generally avoid Thermaltake PSUs. If you want to buy used make sure it is a good unit, significantly cheaper, and you know it is used and stored properly. Don't get a PSU that was treated badly, formerly used for mining, 24/7 rendering, or getting heavily taxed (like your TS 450). Since it's your friend you should be able to find that out.

Mar 24, 2020
I mean i play with 24/7 so I pretty much know where he uses it. He has a gtx 1060 6gb and a 7th gen i5 so 550W is more than enough for him. I will check out other PSUs but this one was the first I saw with a reasonable price and enough watts. But I will make sure to check out other/better options!

Mar 24, 2020
Then the first thing on both you AND your friend's list of things to do for your PCs is to get a better PSU.

See the first link in my sig - that should be your must-read for PSU selection.
Why should he get a new PSU though? He has a strong enough PSU for his specs.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The reviews I've been able to find seem to indicate the Integra was simply an okay design. Back in 2014. What other info I could find says it only has a 3 year warranty, which tells you about how confident (or, in this case NOT confident) that the manufacturer is in this model.

I don't know how old your friend's unit is, but an old design of a mediocre PSU isn't something I'd want to rely on. It's NOT about how many watts it puts out, but the quality of components inside the PSU and how clean/steady the power is that it can deliver.

berb

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
So I have a RTX 2060 and a i7 9700 but i have a 450W power supply. I was wondering if i launch a intensive game like CoD: Warzone what will happen if my gpu and cpu overpower my PSU and is 450W even enough?
I was running warzone and streaming with R7 3700x and 2060 Super on a 370W PSU. It died after a few hours of doing it though and had to buy a new one.

I was also using an ALLIED sl-8500btx, which is a complete garbage PSU. I upgraded to a Seasonic FOCUS GX-750. I will be doing some overclocking so I got 750W