[SOLVED] Overvolted CPU by Accident - Damage to CPU?

Jan 26, 2019
Hello,

I have a Lenovo X1 Extreme Laptop with the i7 8850H CPU configuration. I was actually trying to undervolt my CPU but instead of setting the core voltage offset to -0.185V, I accidentally set it to +0.185V. Not realizing my mistake, I ran a 15-minute stress test with this +0.185V cpu voltage before I changed it back. I'm paranoid and my question is, is there any possibility of damage to the CPU having ran the 15-minute stress test on the +0.185V overvolt?

Thank you!

Sherman

Solution
The worst that would have happened is that your cpu would have overheated, and the built in protections for the cpu to throttle back if over heating and even shut itself down before any damage would occur. If there was a problem you would have seen one already. And usually over clockers go from anywhere from .10 to .15 usually in their overclocks, .14 usually the max on newer faster based cpu's.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
There always a possibility of damage. It's rather unlikely to have hurt anything especially in a laptop since voltages are so low due to slower clockspeeds you didn't set it crazy high or run it too long so I'd bet you're okay. Usually too much voltage (unless some crazy number) is a cumulative issue. Like it slowly migrates the electrons through the chip and degrades over time (like months/years)

Jan 26, 2019

So going +0.185V wouldn't be considered too high or anything? What type of voltage increases do people do when OCing?

Is there anyway to tell whether something went wrong? Or is that fact that everything is running perfectly fine now pretty much nothing was damaged?

Thanks for your reply.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
The worst that would have happened is that your cpu would have overheated, and the built in protections for the cpu to throttle back if over heating and even shut itself down before any damage would occur. If there was a problem you would have seen one already. And usually over clockers go from anywhere from .10 to .15 usually in their overclocks, .14 usually the max on newer faster based cpu's.

Solution