Overvolted SeaGate HDD

Jacob_189

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I had an SSD, and HDD, and a strip of LEDs plugged into my modular power supply. I noticed that my LEDs were burning out very quickly (basically no light after around 6 months). Thinking it was a bad batch I unplugged them and threw them out. Within a week or so one of my hard drives stopped working. After booting to the other, it also stopped working after a few days.
While removing the no longer functioning drives I noticed I had accidentally plugged the cable that all three devices (drives and lights) into a CPU power, rather than a accessory power.

My theory is that somehow the LEDs were protecting the drives and once I unplugged them the extra voltage broke them.

I had the SSD replaced as it was still under warranty, and after fixed the cable, everything works. However the HDD was not under warranty.
Since the problem was (likely) caused by the incorrect power, am I correct in assuming the damage would be contained to the board.
Should I order an identical drive and try to replace the PCB board.
Thank you,
Jacob Schuler

Solution

You cannot plug a 4-pin PCI-e into SATA power ports. It's physically impossible. One is square and one is flat. Looks like you'll HAVE to get a new hard drive because if you seriously jammed something physically impossible into another, then...

You cannot plug a 4-pin PCI-e into SATA power ports. It's physically impossible. One is square and one is flat. Looks like you'll HAVE to get a new hard drive because if you seriously jammed something physically impossible into another, then...

Solution

Jacob_189

Prominent
May 4, 2017

Sorry I wasn't more clear. My power supply looks like this I plugged the the SATA power into the wrong port.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M9pIAmzWL.jpg