Owener/administrator Name change

dick

I just inherited a computer from a relative who has passed away. It has Xp
Home Sp2 installed. How do I change the owner/administrator name so that it
does not appear as a MY Doc Folder etc? I would like to remove the old name
totally from the system.

Dick;
The easiest way is to create a new profile and copy the data from the
old to new profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Dick" <Smok10a@netscape.net> wrote in message
>I just inherited a computer from a relative who has passed away. It
>has Xp Home Sp2 installed. How do I change the owner/administrator
>name so that it does not appear as a MY Doc Folder etc? I would like
>to remove the old name totally from the system.

With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
but perhaps even if acquired from a family member, your wisest course
of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start fresh.
You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may have
filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because the
original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
it only during installation.

The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH