[SOLVED] OwnCloud Questions

aanderson2040

Commendable
May 25, 2018
Hi everyone,

I just wanted a cloud server but I have very little coding skills and a whole ton of questions.. It makes my head hurt just trying to process all the new information every time I try to get into it (but that's besides the point).

I realize this isn't the best place to post, but it's better than nothing. Hoping someone on here could kindly answer because I don't think I'll ever figure it out:

It took some time to get my Raspberry Pi Zero W working, but I was wondering if that would work for this?

I'm also looking at getting a 128GB Micro SD card to replace my 16GB cheap Micro SD card, and I'm wondering, does the speed matter in this case?

If so, what speed would you recommend?

Do I need to have my Raspberry Pi Zero connected through Ethernet for the best performance on other devices when I'm trying to access the data? I don't have an adapter, but I can get one. I was looking at getting a SanDisk Extreme Micro SD card, but I don't want to go overkill on the speed since I'm just storing personal data that's becoming too full on the 30GB (15GB on 2 accounts) of storage I have in the Google Drive. Plus I have more on my computer, but I'm just trying to make sure I have enough storage for the future.

Thank you so much to anyone who responds to this! I'm not an old guy (I'm 16), but coding isn't my field of expertise, so I hope you'll be understanding.

Solution
You posted "cloud" but I am going to suggest "NAS".

"Yes" as a response to getting a larger 128 GB Micro SD.

Raspberry Pi's can do many, many things.

Overall, the following link may get you started with the project in mind:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-nas-for-whole-home-file-sharing

For the most part, the link may raise more questions than answers for you. However, the key with such things is to simply do more research and work to figure out the applicable details per your requirements.

Another suggestion I will make is to just focus on getting the NAS/cloud/system to work and work reliably.

Then address the necessary tweaks for speed and performance.

Do not be concerned about "coding"...

Ralston18

Titan

"Yes" as a response to getting a larger 128 GB Micro SD.

Raspberry Pi's can do many, many things.

Overall, the following link may get you started with the project in mind:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-nas-for-whole-home-file-sharing

For the most part, the link may raise more questions than answers for you. However, the key with such things is to simply do more research and work to figure out the applicable details per your requirements.

Another suggestion I will make is to just focus on getting the NAS/cloud/system to work and work reliably.

Then address the necessary tweaks for speed and performance.

Do not be concerned about "coding" per se. Mostly you will have to just install the app(s) and configure as necessary for your network.

Note:

However, coding may be useful and if you have the time and are willing to make some efforts then you may discover that you can actually do some coding. Start with something like Scratch or Python. Simple project and work upwards. Lots of online resources to help.

Little steps and small projects at first. No need to be creative, just learn from what others have done and you will soon find yourself being able to do projects of your own.

Solution

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
OwnCloud has some different functions than a straight up NAS if you aren't familiar, mainly external app support for things like auto uploads and easy sharing.

That being said for full time use I'd argue that the $2/month 100 GB Google Drive instance offers you a better platform.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
My Asus router affords me an NAS connection and external access to it. While configuring the router is not intuitive for this activity, it is less complicated than setting up an RPi.

On the other hand, you'll learn a lot by wading through all the options to get your RPi functioning and that's a good thing, too.