[SOLVED] Oxidized Aluminum in Water Loop

RJamesRJ

Commendable
Aug 1, 2019
I know about the whole not recommending mixing aluminum with copper/brass. But what about already oxidized Aluminum. Does that make much of a difference? I don't see anything anywhere about it.

Solution
Copper and Aluminum Oxides are insoluble in water, but are also not as structurally bonded to the surface of the alloys, so you get a precipitate that floats around and will eventually start clogging the works up. The main problem is the electrochemical processes as the free ions in the water interact with the alloy surfaces. Always going to be a presence of oxygen with water, and there isn't such a thing as a perfectly sealed loop. So the oxides will form regardless. Starting with already oxidized surfaces just means that the initial descaling process may be a little faster to start.

At least that would be my take on it. Not sure if this exact idea has been tested long term.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Copper and Aluminum Oxides are insoluble in water, but are also not as structurally bonded to the surface of the alloys, so you get a precipitate that floats around and will eventually start clogging the works up. The main problem is the electrochemical processes as the free ions in the water interact with the alloy surfaces. Always going to be a presence of oxygen with water, and there isn't such a thing as a perfectly sealed loop. So the oxides will form regardless. Starting with already oxidized surfaces just means that the initial descaling process may be a little faster to start.

At least that would be my take on it. Not sure if this exact idea has been tested long term.

Solution

RJamesRJ

Commendable
Aug 1, 2019

I've made that theory as well. I ask cause I have a pretty complex cooling rig. And it may have oxidized aluminum, copper and stainless. I haven't fully confirmed the aluminum in it. But was looking in to it more. I may just end up using a automotive anti corrosive fluid. Or the fluid they use in AIO's which are typically copper block and aluminum rad.

Ralston18

Titan
What cooling rig are you using: product, make, model?

I would be very wary of doing anything not supported by the applicable cooling rig's User Guide/Manual.

Good chance that, at best, you do something that works however will violate any remaining warranty.

Also a good chance that some "fix" (fluid) could backfire and things end badly....

Just my thoughts on the matter.

RJamesRJ

Commendable
Aug 1, 2019
What cooling rig are you using: product, make, model?

I would be very wary of doing anything not supported by the applicable cooling rig's User Guide/Manual.

Good chance that, at best, you do something that works however will violate any remaining warranty.

Also a good chance that some "fix" (fluid) could backfire and things end badly....

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Well my rig is completely custom. It consists of two loops. The main loop, which "interacts" with the computer components. Then instead of using a radiator. I pass it through a chiller block. At that point the second loop goes through the same block taking the heat from the first loop. Which then goes to my radiators which are located outside of the room. Everything as it is right now works fine. The heat from the computer isn't being put out into my room and my Temps hit 50°c at most. But now I wanna replace my rads with something that's easier maintained. I thought of a small fish tank chiller. Haha. That's what contains the Oxidized Aluminum. That's where my questions lie. It's not so much that I need to do it. I'm just curios if I was to do it.

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting.

Galvanic corrosion.....

Not in my comfort zone per se. However, I tend to be curious about such things.

So I googled "fish tank chiller" with a 1 year search filter.

It seems that there are quite a number of choices and options.

FYI:

https://fishtankadvisor.com/best-aquarium-water-chiller-reviews/

Not endorsing any particular manufacturer or product.

However, you should be able to identify some possible candidates and then find the applicable User Guides and Manuals via the manufacturer's websites.

Hopefully any oxidation or other issues will be addressed in the documentation. E.g., including the possible use of copper or brass tubing.

Do some reading with respect to Galvanic corrosion especially within the context of your plans and requirements.

RJamesRJ

Commendable
Aug 1, 2019
Interesting.

Galvanic corrosion.....

Not in my comfort zone per se. However, I tend to be curious about such things.

So I googled "fish tank chiller" with a 1 year search filter.

It seems that there are quite a number of choices and options.

FYI:

https://fishtankadvisor.com/best-aquarium-water-chiller-reviews/

Not endorsing any particular manufacturer or product.

However, you should be able to identify some possible candidates and then find the applicable User Guides and Manuals via the manufacturer's websites.

Hopefully any oxidation or other issues will be addressed in the documentation. E.g., including the possible use of copper or brass tubing.

Do some reading with respect to Galvanic corrosion especially within the context of your plans and requirements.
Thanks appreciate the input. That was an informative article. As I said I have no real problems with my set up currently. So I may not even do this. It was just a thought.