P-D805 OC'D TO 3.8GHZ..OVERHEATING

TkdRO

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hey I followed Tom's Hardware guide on overcloaking the P-Dual 805 2.66 and right now its running at 3.8Ghz and 760 fsb. The problem im having is when i play games like, counterstrike source, F.E.A.R, etc my cpu heats up to 59 degrees at some points, was wondering what i can do to fix this. When system is idle or in windows xp its normally varies from 45-51 degrees max.
Sys Specs-
MB-ASUS P5WDE2-P
CPU-P DUAL 805 2.66
CPUFAN- ZALMAN CNPS9500LED
RAM-1GB CORSAIR 667
VC-ATI X1800 XL PCI-E 256GDDR
HD- WD 320 SATA2 16MB
CASE-APIRE NAVIGATOR W/ 5 FANS /W 500WATT PS DUAL FAN
2-DVD DRIVES

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Since you already have a great HSF, you should consider tuning it down a notch. Not all CPU's overclock to the same level and just because Tom's got 4.1GHz doesn mean its a good idea to try it with a standard cooler! You just might have gone above your Happy-Safe Zone for overclocking. Another option is to use watercooling, which will lower the temps a bit further but might not yield much more performance for the money. Best bet is to turn it down to maybe 3.4-3.6GHz and run it hot for a while, if it stays stable, it can handle it.

Another question: Was this your first try at overclocking?

billythedeadboy

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
i had the same problem when i overclocked mine, try switching to a better thermal grease. or if that doesnt work you might have to switch to water cooling, like previously stated not all chips overclock the same.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I can only wish for 59° thats sounds pretty good to me. I have been at 65° at 3.7+ghz load (hours of cpu burn in running) i am not worried though. If i play games for a few hours i dont break 60° Oh i also idle @ 45°

If you are not happy with the temp i agree with Bweir and back it off a bit, but i think your fine

TkdRO

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
How does your cpu reach 65degrees???
Ok mine has hit max 59degrees while playing graphically intensive games such as F.E.A.R. I know the max you should be at is 61degrees. do you guys think its ok to keep my cpu at 3.8ghz even though its running at 55-59degrees at some points?? if buddy is running his at 65degrees then mine doesn't seem so bad. And yes this is my first time overclocking. I really don't want to tune my cpu down. look at specs on my computer above, with those parts i still CAN'T play F.E.A.R. at max graphics.(although this may be only due to videocard)

TkdRO

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
PS- please do not reply with a recommendation of lowering the clock speed, as this is obvious, and is only my last resort, which is why im here im looking for another option. Sorry if i sound rude, im not trying to be.

GadFly81

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Actually if you read that article again, on page 21 you will see that stock operation (at 2.66 ghz, and stock fan) runs at 78 degree. And the new macbooks with a core duo run at about 80 degrees at full load. I am sure anything below 80 will be perfectly fine.

edit: Page 25 also shows it running at 80 degrees at 4.0 without any issues.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
How does your cpu reach 65degrees???
Ok mine has hit max 59degrees while playing graphically intensive games such as F.E.A.R. I know the max you should be at is 61degrees. do you guys think its ok to keep my cpu at 3.8ghz even though its running at 55-59degrees at some points?? if buddy is running his at 65degrees then mine doesn't seem so bad. And yes this is my first time overclocking. I really don't want to tune my cpu down. look at specs on my computer above, with those parts i still CAN'T play F.E.A.R. at max graphics.(although this may be only due to videocard)

I have mine @ 3.6Ghz on the stock cooler and I max out my temps at 61C playing Oblivion and running Azureus in the background. So maybe you should try for that ? (it runs realy quick so no complaints there) 59C is fine even 65C is ok but lower temps is always better :) I think 70C is the danger zone for damage.

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hey I followed Tom's Hardware guide on overcloaking the P-Dual 805 2.66 and right now its running at 3.8Ghz and 760 fsb. The problem im having is when i play games like, counterstrike source, F.E.A.R, etc my cpu heats up to 59 degrees at some points, was wondering what i can do to fix this. When system is idle or in windows xp its normally varies from 45-51 degrees max.
Sys Specs-
MB-ASUS P5WDE2-P
CPU-P DUAL 805 2.66
CPUFAN- ZALMAN CNPS9500LED
RAM-1GB CORSAIR 667
VC-ATI X1800 XL PCI-E 256GDDR
HD- WD 320 SATA2 16MB
CASE-APIRE NAVIGATOR W/ 5 FANS /W 500WATT PS DUAL FAN
2-DVD DRIVES

Hello

i do not think your processor is overheating. I have pd 830 overclocked to 3.7 ghz. it is running stable and it has reached to 65 underload for long time ( one hour full load 100 % cpu utilization) Once the cpu utilization is dropped , it goes back to 42 to 45. i believe it is normal. i have the same temp while the cpu is not overclocked. i guess it is fine as long as it does not go over 85.

Thura.

TkdRO

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hey thanks for all the info guys, very appreciated.

I thought it was bad at 59degrees but everyone's telling me now im fine, the reason for this was i was using PC Probe which came with my asus board and it give me a warning message at 59degrees. So i just assumed it was too hot. So i guess i will continue running the cpu at 3.8ghz and close that pc probe thing cuz its very annoying, while im playing a game it brings me back to windows warning me my cpu is overheating at 59degrees.

eoan

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Hey thanks for all the info guys, very appreciated.

I thought it was bad at 59degrees but everyone's telling me now im fine, the reason for this was i was using PC Probe which came with my asus board and it give me a warning message at 59degrees. So i just assumed it was too hot. So i guess i will continue running the cpu at 3.8ghz and close that pc probe thing cuz its very annoying, while im playing a game it brings me back to windows warning me my cpu is overheating at 59degrees.

Hello,

I'm Using the ASUS P5WD2 Premium - not E and I'm hitting 69degrees at 90% load @ 3.6Ghz, I'm not sure the temperature peak levels either - using the same cooler as you.

Brand new to overclocking so not sure if it's ok or not, but as I'm using PC Probe for the temperature, I'm getting the same warnings at 60C. You can change the temperature warning levels, just not sure what the max should be on this CPU.

PC not crashed yet. I did raise the vcore up to 1.4v for this though, I think I should retry in steady increments, rather than a quantum leap of faith to this level. Perhaps I have it too high.

Need to do some benchmark tests before I'll know for sure.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
You really should be able to play FEAR at max with your system, I do with mine and your video card, and everything else is faster then mine.. and I play FEAR at max on 1280x1024.

lbax

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
1) You can reset the alarm threshold in PC Probe to any desired Temp. For your current setup, I would suggest 63 degrees or so. PC probe will then warn you if your system spikes a temp.

2) As you have been advised, 59 degrees is a perfectly safe temp. In fact, I use 60 degrees as my target temp under full stress testing load. This is a personal choice based on my risk tolerance, fan noise levels & general heat saturation of surrounding components. Many folks operate at much higher temp without damage. :)

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Like Lbax said, just reset your alarms. I think common folk knowledge suggests that anything over 70 for an extended period is bad, but 60-65 should be just fine.

And remember, with thermal grease, more is not necessarily better.

LiquiDFirE101

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I grabbed one of these chips and a P5N32-SLI Deluxe and i got my chip running at 3.95GHz with the Zalman non LED cooler stable with idle temps at 29 degrees and full load temps at 48 degrees. I put it through a 48 hour stress test and it handled it perfectly dunno how you could have so many problems. I think i did get lucky on the chip though.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I grabbed one of these chips and a P5N32-SLI Deluxe and i got my chip running at 3.95GHz with the Zalman non LED cooler stable with idle temps at 29 degrees and full load temps at 48 degrees. I put it through a 48 hour stress test and it handled it perfectly dunno how you could have so many problems. I think i did get lucky on the chip though.

first of all he is not having "so many problems" actually he is not having any problems,
As a matter of FACT YOU are the one having problems if you ar only 48° at 3.95ghz, even though you must live in the Antarctic i say 29° at idle is wrong as well specially at 3.95 ghz you running a higher core voltage.

ps. If you are going to lie to us with your first post ever at least make it more Believable please

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Actually its called celsius temperature not farenheit. hmm.

No sh**, thats why we know you either have major problems or you're a LIAR or with temps like that i could be totally wrong and you live in siberia

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
what are pics going to prove? not a damn thing.

4ghz.jpg
:oops:

at 3.9ghz it idelsa at 48° and you run ful load at 48 on air :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Let be honest, F.E.A.R is an intense game, and to play this on a heavyily overclocked CPU is odviously going to create even more heat, hower although it is getting hot i shouldn't worry to much.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Let be honest, F.E.A.R is an intense game, and to play this on a heavyily overclocked CPU is odviously going to create even more heat, hower although it is getting hot i shouldn't worry to much.