girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi guys, P3 users, let me know how your P-III/Celeron fares with temperatures - that Athlon/Durons are frowned at for.

I have a couple of P-IIIs, 450 MHz and 600/100 MHz and both run well past 55 deg., around 58-59 deg C. it seems too high a temperature for a P-III. i even tried keeping the casing open, placing a fan in front of the system, the temp doesnt get any lower than 50.

althought its quite hot at 30+ deg. in the day here in India, 50 is a bit too high to accept.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
30+ degrees ambient is a tough one. I have a Fop38 (for socket370) keeping my 815Mhz 148FSB, 1.85V PIII733 at 35 degrees (15 over ambient).

What cpu fan are you using? If it is the stock Intel fan then you can do a lot better.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i guess P-III 733 is 0.18 micron fab while 450/600 is 0.25 one. but that should not make this large a difference.

both are intel boxed slot 1 processors, so they do have their original cooling gear.

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
have you used any extra cooling mechanism or its just the cpu cooling fan?

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Celeron 450 runs at 33C, regardless of the application. Standard HSF at 4200rpm, no case fans other then the power supply fan.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

Hi everyone, my first post but a long time reader(bout 2 weeks =) ) Anyways I have a P3 866 that runs around at around 28C core temp. I currently have 1 intake in front, 1 intake on the side, stcok cpu fan, i pci slot exhaust fan and a 60mm exhaust fan. I rarely see my core temp above 35C. I was just wondering if that is good because im debating on buying a ThermoEngine Pro. Heres a pic of it if anyone is interested:
http://www.3dcool.com/thermoengine.shtml

I just bought one for my other computer because its an AMD 1gig and it runs at around 40C. I also have the same fan setup for that one too. I was told that the ThermoEngine will really lower the temp of my AMD, will it for my Pentium?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Coppermine cores use about half the power of an equivalent speed Katmai core. I'd guess the upcomming Tuatalin cores (0.13 micron) should use about half that again.

See the intel specs at <A HREF="http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm" target="_new">http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm</A>

The "Thermal Design Power" column tells you how much juice they are using.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, i have those old katmai and have to stay with such temps. but 59 seems a bit too high anyway.
its about 30+ ambient, and i guess using a baby AT chassi adds to the troubles... but my other 450 processor has a full ATX chassis with no covers put on, yet it runs above 55!

and celerons (upto 766 MHz) use Coppermine128 core, still they run around 45, hows it thats so?

anything i could do it lower it down?

G

My 600e runs at 12 to 21 no load and 22 to 37 full load. Somethign wrong with yer temp sensor or fan. Ask tbird he has seen my temp screen shots.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
basically 30 deg ambient is too much. but i am having this problem on two different systems and two different processors, so i dont think there is any problem with the temp sensors or fans.

i guess i should use better cooling gear, or upgrade the cpus right away to 0.18 micron coppermines, whatever i do i have to shell out a few thousand bucks.

besides, its summer out here in India and it really gets hot in the day (about 30-33 deg.) that might be one of the problem i guess i should wait for the winter and see how does it fare then.

btw your system is too cool to believe, whats the ambient temp at your place? did you get the screenshot just after you switched on your machine? pls let me have alook at it. or these are consistent values even after an hour or two of run?

my systems are about 29-32 deg. when i start them and the temp gradually increases to 55-60. its still in limits as the datasheets say, but very much concerning since i get occasional lockups and reboots after long hours of use.

girish

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SpudMuffin does not understand that his processor can run cooler at similar ambient temps simply becuase the Coppermine uses less power than the Katmai, and he has a Coppermine core while you have a Katmai. Don't fret too much, they can take it-the larger process means the transistors are larger, which means they are not as fragile. I used to have a 386 that would run over 70C on a regular basis and it lived until I tossed it! Newer processors need cooler temps because they are more fragile, your older units are OK.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Crash yes i do i was just pointing out, well in fact bragging of the low temp my processor runs at. I am aware of the transistor deal and such as it is i very much agree with you. Good to see someone never bashed my cpu temp yet but hey we all know amd's dont run that cool dont we tbird? Later guys got to go and be the king of evil... oh maybe not 5 am here oh better sleep now.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, katmai(0.25) vs coppermine(0.18) is ok but the temps are still concerning. 59-60 seems a bit too high. i read some posts saying 500/550/600 (all katmais) p3s running under 40-45.
maybe its the ambient issue and i shouldnt be too concerned of. it was over 40 deg. yesterday and the cpu went to 65.

still i would like to know about max temp katmais could reach, anybody has one?

girish