P111 850 Flip Chip

Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey hey all , how's it going?
question is , am going to install a p111 850 , flip chip, on mobo that only acepts slot one style , so must use socket adaptor. any draw backs from doing this , or loss of performance to be seen??
oh p.s. reason is , can't find p111 800 plus that are slot one style, and not ready to spend the bucks for new mobo and processor at the same time

thanks again
jaxon

G

Why not go for an Athlon 850 and the Asus A7V, it'll cost the same as just the PIII and have almost exactly the same performance while leaving more opportunity for further upgrades than staying with your current mobo.

Fat Chucky

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That is a good point. Though it would take a lot more effort to do, and might require a power supply upgrade as well. But an Athlon upgrade would be just as good and probably cost the same in the end. It would ultimately have a higher maximum speed potential, so there would be a lot more room to upgrade with it.

As for the 850 flip chip ... well, it just seems odd to me to convert it to a slot. I don't think it would run any slower, but I have to wonder if BIOS would support it. That'd be the thing that I'd check first, is to make sure an 850 will even work in the system.

And I think Intel stopped making slot chips after the 800, so that's probably why you can't find any.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

At the risk of getting a big firey thing from FUGGER, go with whatever you reckon will give you the best performance/upgradeablilty for your money. I'm not going to try to push you either way (you've already seen my advice). If you can get that slocket PIII working it might be cool.

I do try to be totally unbiased when recommending computers to folks. The best bet is to check out Tom's latest reviews, they're the best impartial advice around.

Fat Chucky

kingbrd1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
If you really want I just saw on priewatch that they do in fact sell Slot 1 850'S, they're slightly more expensive (add $50-70) but it should work. I ran a 600eb on abit be6-2 with a slocket and never had a problem.

G

Jaxon,

PPGA (flip chip) can be elegantly fit into a slot1 mobo using a slotket adapter, with NO change in performance.

Buy the ASUS s370-DL CPU card (slotket converter) for about $15. Then buy the OEM 800E chip (don't buy the EB.. DON'T). Buy an ORB to keep it cool (~20 bucks)

The 850 costs as much as $100 more, for less than 10% more speed, and besides, the 800 is nicely overclockable..

At 100MHz, the 800MHz chip will deliver 8x100=800MHz. Mine is running at 8x140MHz=1120MHz !!! ORB keeps it at below 50 degrees C. no problem

Also, overclocking in BX realm means AGP 2x runs at 2/3 FSB. Geforce cards can handle the O/C up to high levels, and others can handle some O/C. But you should be able to get more than 800, even if you have an ATI card in yer AGP slot !

Good luck !

AMD means Anyday Might imploDe, toastwise