P180B front audio ports got highjacked! P5WDH the culprit?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hi,

I use SkyPe and GTalk to speak to friends quite a bit, and when I'm not doing that, I'm playing games. I use my nice Logitech 2.1 speakers that are plugged into the rear audio ports of my Asus P5W DH for gaming. I need to use my headset when talking on the internet phone cause of the mic.

When I want to quickly hop on to a call, I need to get to the back of the P180B to plug in my heaset. The front ports DO NOT pick up the headset. Why??? If I unplug the rear speakers and reboot, then the front ports work (well they used to, and now the mic doesnt get picked up - audio still works). I know its a SW/driver issue, and should be simple to fix.

Anyone else had this prob? How do you fix it?

Thanks!!!!!

Hi,

I use SkyPe and GTalk to speak to friends quite a bit, and when I'm not doing that, I'm playing games. I use my nice Logitech 2.1 speakers that are plugged into the rear audio ports of my Asus P5W DH for gaming. I need to use my headset when talking on the internet phone cause of the mic.

When I want to quickly hop on to a call, I need to get to the back of the P180B to plug in my heaset. The front ports DO NOT pick up the headset. Why??? If I unplug the rear speakers and reboot, then the front ports work (well they used to, and now the mic doesnt get picked up - audio still works). I know its a SW/driver issue, and should be simple to fix.

Thanks!!!!!

My son had a similar problem. The mic was busted, but the audio still worked. Solution=new headset/mic.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
The headset and mic work just fine! If I plug it into the back of the P5W DH, the sound and mic work fine with the headset.

The prob is having the 2.1 speakers in at the back, at the same time as having the headset in the P180B font ports. NO GO! Only the 2.1 speakers work.

Sounds like the mobo is giving me gas. Has anyone had the same prob? Anyone managed to fix it? It's a PAIN to get up and climb to the back of the case each time I take a call!

Thanks!

The headset and mic work just fine! If I plug it into the back of the P5W DH, the sound and mic work fine with the headset.

The prob is having the 2.1 speakers in at the back, at the same time as having the headset in the P180B font ports. NO GO! Only the 2.1 speakers work.

Sounds like the mobo is giving me gas. Has anyone had the same prob? Anyone managed to fix it? It's a PAIN to get up and climb to the back of the case each time I take a call!

Thanks!

Maybe the front ports are lacking a part of the audio connection (mic capability) the rear ports on the MB have.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I really dont think so. If I plug in the mic and the headset into the front panel and reboot, then the headset works well.

Its not the mic, not the front panel and not the P5W DH. I'm telling you, its a SW prob with the drivers, or even more likely, the settings! The Asus p5W DH comes with a whole sha-bang of audio software.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Hi,

Thanks!!!!!

I reccomend unplugging your speakers and plugging your headset in when you want to talk.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Now that is a good idea. USB phones - but I dont want to spend more money. The set I have now works just fine!

Do you get wireless USB headphones? What does the Medusa 5.1 have? Never mind - I'll try stay on topic.

Anyone had the same prob?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I can do that, but it's irritating to do that every time you take a call. It should work, thats why you have front audio ports.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
It's a PAIN to get up and climb to the back of the case each time I take a call!

New USB headphones would solve the problem if you have front USB ports.

Then you'd have to **** about when you want to get your speakers to work.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I can do that, but it's irritating to do that every time you take a call. It should work, thats why you have front audio ports.

Well quite a few mobos disable your rear ports when the fronts are in use and the other way round. Could just be that.

It's a PAIN to get up and climb to the back of the case each time I take a call!

New USB headphones would solve the problem if you have front USB ports.

Then you'd have to **** about when you want to get your speakers to work.

Just one click of the mouse and your from headphones to speaker.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I know the SW package that came with it allows you to switch between a headset config and a 2.1 config. I did try that out and that didnt work. I think "diasable back ports when front USB is used" is the way to go. I have to find that setting somewhere.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Info from another site:

James_L
When I hook up my headphone to the front audio jack, I can hear the audio test when using the ASUS realtek audio software that accompanies the motherboard.

However, I dont know how to use it so that i can toggle between my audigy and the built-in asus audio (via the front audio output).

I scanned the Asus manual but, not being a techie it was all bits and bytes to me.

Rate Posting | Tip Posting | My Postings (29) | My Reviews (0) | View Source | Mod

I know the SW package that came with it allows you to switch between a headset config and a 2.1 config. I did try that out and that didnt work. I think "diasable back ports when front USB is used" is the way to go. I have to find that setting somewhere.

I have four ASUS boards. If you look around on the ASUS site there are threads on the forums everywhere addressing the sound driver issues. There is an updated driver on the site. I'll see if I can locate it and post the link. I like to never got my ASUS on board sound working on my newest board. I have it working perect front the front ports as well as the back.

EDIT: Your board is ASUS right?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I just called Asus. They have no known problems with this situation, but they logged it and sent it to the engineering dept. Maybe if enought peopl call, they will work on it and incorporate it into the next driver update.

Still reading on ........ THERE MUST BE A WAY!

TRENDING THREADS