P180B front audio ports got highjacked! P5WDH the culprit?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
It's a PAIN to get up and climb to the back of the case each time I take a call!

New USB headphones would solve the problem if you have front USB ports.

Then you'd have to **** about when you want to get your speakers to work.

Just one click of the mouse and your from headphones to speaker.

Not quite as easy as that. I have Logitech 350 headphones and to change to speaker it's a fair few mouse clicks. Personally I don't like speakers. Due to the fact I'm an FPS player I almost constantly have my headset on anyway!

Not quite as easy as that. I have Logitech 350 headphones and to change to speaker it's a fair few mouse clicks. Personally I don't like speakers. Due to the fact I'm an FPS player I almost constantly have my headset on anyway

I use only my Sound Blaster card and some 75w Boston Acoustic speakers, no headphones. My son uses some 95w surround speakers and a usb Logitech headphone/mic. He just opens the sound control (one click) then opens the area to switch from headphone to speaker (two clicks), then closes out, three cllicks. Works well.

Anyway, the newer ASUS boards can be -itch to get the sound working properly. I managed to get my ASUS micro board to play through the front speaker jacks when I built it. Took me about two weeks to get the REAR MB speaker jacks working. I use Logitech 2.1 3 way with those. Enjoy that micro system, sound great for being a relatively cheap build.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Seem simple to me.

I have the same board, and I'd guess your problem is that you have the front panel connector set to "HD Audio" in the BIOS, try setting this to the other option (I forget what it is called)

However, the best solution is a USB headset. My headset is actually just a normal one, that came with a little USB dongle (which actually functions as a USB soundcard). The advantage of this is that everything comes though my speakers as normal, except the GTalk calls (the ringing is on speakers AND headset).

Its really good when playing games etc that are also making their own sound as the sound comes from a different place and you can still hear the person you are talking to. I also never have to plug in/unplug things.

I just called Asus. They have no known problems with this situation, but they logged it and sent it to the engineering dept. Maybe if enought peopl call, they will work on it and incorporate it into the next driver update.

Still reading on ........ THERE MUST BE A WAY!

Like I said, I don't have your board, but I have four ASUS boards. I don't think anything was ever really resolved, but here's my thread from when I built my micro ASUS board.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=188549&highlight=

Did you find the updated driver for your MB? It's on the ASUS site.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I don't have that issue on the P5b Deluxe. I get audio out of the rear line out and the front panel simultaneously on mine. If you want to use the mike connector on the front panel though, you have to remember to go intro the sound options, and check the "Mike2" box, or if you have the SoundMax panel running, and you click the little black button to the right of the mike LED, it gives you the option there to check the "front panel microphone" box.

Maybe it's as simple as that!

frontmikethingpf4.jpg

I don't have that issue on the P5b Deluxe. I get audio out of the rear line out and the front panel simultaneously on mine. If you want to use the mike connector on the front panel though, you have to remember to go intro the sound options, and check the "Mike2" box, or if you have the SoundMax panel running, and you click the little black button to the right of the mike LED, it gives you the option there to check the "front panel microphone" box.

Maybe it's as simple as that!

I believe ASUS should hire Kreskin to write the instruction manual chapters on sound.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Oh yeah, forgot about that. That could well be it.

I Googled the "HD Audio" panel and couldn't find one - does anyone know if such connectors exist on a panel or in a case?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I fiddled around last night and came up with this - plugged my heaset into the back panel into 2 slots (red cord for mic & green cord for sound). My 2.1 speakers are also plugged into the back (just one green cord that goes into a 3rd slot). I went to the RealTek Audio config station, and input what was going in and out of those slots.

Now what I have is the 2.1 speakers running perfectly, I have the mic going in for recording, but I also have the sound coming out my headset headphones 24/7. This is a bummer. So while I play FEAR Combat and roast somebody with a grenade, the bass roars out of my woofer, but at the same time the sounds are coming through my phones. It's not a trainsmash, but I wonder how long my headset will last with 100% volume noise being played all the time.

This looks like my only option at this stage. The board should be reading the front panel when you insert a headset, and disable the back panel (there is actually a setting for that in the config station). I made sure it was set, but still didnt work. It's a glitch, and really frustrating when you pay big bucks to get the stuff you want.

Also, I tried to config the audio drivers in windows, for Mic-in, and 2.1 for sound out, and the only drivers to drag and select where the RealTek ones (back panel). Good luck guys! Arrrrggghhhhh.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hi Guys,

I ran PCMark and 3DMark on my PC last night. I was using the free version. As I am not using the pay service (just not worth it for one run at $40 if you dont use it professionally), I cannot check to see how my system stacks up against others. I hit Google and the forumz, and got some data points. If those points prove true, then I think I am going to be very disappointed with the new system. Could you please take a look at my scores and let me know what you think? Please post yours too so others coming to this page can learn too. THANKS!

PCMark = 6493
3DMark = 4936

The list of detailed components are on this page:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&fi...viewtop

-Antec Performance One P180B Mid-Tower
-Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 550W
-Asus P5W DH Deluxe
-Conroe E6600
-OCZ Platinum Revision 2, 2GB, DDR2 800
-MSI RX1900XT-VT2D512E Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB
-Lite-On SHM-165H6S Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
-ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor
-Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite Mac/Win PS2/USB

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Hi Guys,

I ran PCMark and 3DMark on my PC last night. I was using the free version. As I am not using the pay service (just not worth it for one run at $40 if you dont use it professionally), I cannot check to see how my system stacks up against others. I hit Google and the forumz, and got some data points. If those points prove true, then I think I am going to be very disappointed with the new system. Could you please take a look at my scores and let me know what you think? Please post yours too so others coming to this page can learn too. THANKS!

PCMark = 6493
3DMark = 4936

The list of detailed components are on this page:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&fi...viewtop

-Antec Performance One P180B Mid-Tower
-Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 550W
-Asus P5W DH Deluxe
-Conroe E6600
-OCZ Platinum Revision 2, 2GB, DDR2 800
-MSI RX1900XT-VT2D512E Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB
-Lite-On SHM-165H6S Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
-ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor
-Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite Mac/Win PS2/USB

Why have you posted this in the case/psu section?

For some reason I can't get PCMark or 3DMark to run on my P180 and NeoHE 550. Tell me how to and I'll post my benchmarks.

On my Abit mobos, there is a jumper that you set to use front panel instead of rear panel connectors. It's on the same block where you plug the front panel connectors into the mobo. I'm kind of surprised no one has suggested this possibility yet.
Of course, setting a jumper like this for every switch is not really workable. In this case, your best choice is to either:

1. Use speakers that have a headphone jack on them; this will cut out the subwoofer too. On mine, the jack is on the wired remote volume controls.

2. Use a stereo extension cable to bring the rear speaker connector to a more convenient place to plug in whichever device you prefer. This idea works for the mic too of course.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
You know, you could always get a cable splitter from radio shack and have both plugged in all the time to the rear port. Or you could get a splitter and then an extension (I have a 20-footer 8O ) and just uplug the 'phones when not in use. This is essentially what I have been doing for several years now because the front panel sound is very poor on my el-cheapo case.

The only problem this setup can cause is a bit of signal attenuation, but it is easy to adjust for that: Turn up the volume. You should still have enough overhead to pump the volume up when you feel like it. Just make sure to get the gold plated cables. They are usually of better construction and the signal transfer is usually better.