jeffsayoyo

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
I have a Dell XPS-R 450 system that I bought in the winter of 1998. I have already upgraded the processor via the Powerleap 1400 MHz P-III Tualatin, but am itching for more performance. I am looking to replace the original "BX" style board with a "new" board that supports the Athlon XP 2400+. However, since I am cheap, I want to use the SDRAM that I already have in my system.

The board that I have been looking at is the MSI K7T Turbo 2 ($45 at NewEgg) and the processor is the aforementioned 2400+.

My first question is will my power supply (original one) have enough power for the new combination. I have had no problems thus far with the P-III upgrade. I am not sure what the wattage is on the unit. Perhaps someone is familar with this particular Dell computer.

My second question is will I need to perform a fresh installation of Windows XP. I was reading through an updated FAQ in this forum, but it only addressed Windows 9x. Will the same rules apply for XP?

I realize that the upgrade may seem like I am beating a dead horse, but I am merely trying to delay the inevitable and buying some time before I build a new system. I figure that if this doesn't work out for me, that I will only be out the price of the mobo, since I could use the processor in a new system, and still be fairly well off.

Are there any other problems that I am overlooking??

Any input that anyone has would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Jeff

I would get a new case with power supply. It will make your upgrade go alot smoother. Only Dell boards will fit in your Dell case, unless you do some modifications. Newegg, directron, and color cases all have a good selection. For a budget, I like the maxtop with extra fans for about $50 shipped at newegg. The power supply is just ok. Or you can buy a case without one, and get a refurb power supply fairly cheap.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you PSU wattage should be printed on the PSU itself (if its a low one, get a 300W or pref higher) & yes, you will need to reinstall XP after adding a new board... all major changes need a reinstall, that is how XP does things...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
My first question is will my power supply (original one) have enough power for the new combination. I have had no problems thus far with the P-III upgrade. I am not sure what the wattage is on the unit. Perhaps someone is familar with this particular Dell computer
Dell ATX PS connections are proprietery, only Dell Motherboards will connect properly

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Exactly, if you try a normal board with that PSU one of the two is going to blow, probably your board.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>