oreozz

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I built my first computer the other day and it's been running smoothly! However after using occt I see that I have 42.5 C as I type this with nothing going on and 58 C putting a high load test and leaving it run for 5 mins. STOCK!

This is much higher than I've observed from other peoples' temperatures so I assume something must be wrong.

I only have a few possible ideas that could be having an affect and I wish for you to all help me confirm or suggest something else if neccessary!

1. I have no idea what SYS_FAN is on motherboard, could not find a plug so I left it out. All case fans(cooler master 690), cpu, psu fans are working but maybe this somehow has significance.

2. My case in a corner with about 1 hand distance between each wall. The walls are on the cases left and back side. No idea if this is enough room for it to breath so I thought I'd share!

3. When I first installed the heatsink, I had put it on backwards. Being the scared child I am and not knowing thermal grease mechanics I was very confused as to why it was stuck. Anyways I realized it was the grease after I noticed it could pivot, so I pulled it out, turned it, and clamped that thing down. I only mention this story because I noticed the grease was fairly spread out over the cpu when I took it out likely due to my pivoting!

These are the only 3 ideas I have friends, any suggestions would be just great.

Specs
MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK R
HD 320G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD3200AAKS
DVD BURN LG|GH22LS30 22X LS SATA %
VGA SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL HD4870 1G R
PSU ROSEWILL | RP600V2-S-SL 600W RT
CPU AMD|PH II X4 940 BLK 3.0G RT
MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P 790X RT
CASE CM|RC-690-KKN1-GP BK RT

TY for any help friends! Please help me solve the issue at hand!

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I don't think you have anything to worry about. 58C on load is fine. You'll never get those temps on normal usage.

Verify the temp reported by Speeedfan, download and use Core Temp also.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I wouldn't get worried about 58C as flyin said. 42.5 is very cool for the most part. My semi-older machine now, which has a Pentium Dual Core can rocket from 38C to 65C in under a minute when I put it under load. I doubt you did anything wrong.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006

1.Thermal Paste (Grease) does make a suction between the cpu and the heatsink

2.The problem of high temps are also caused because you inserted the heatsink, pivoted and removed the heatsink, and you have "damaged" the thin layer of thermal paste, creating an uneven layer of thermal paste both on the cpu and the heatsink

Get some pure alcohol and thermal paste, clean thermal paste with the alcohol than reaply a thin layer of thermal paste

cheers!!

oreozz

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
lanning at a friends house yeilds 35 idle, 54 stressed. I'm assuming that corner contributes to this. I'll also eventually buy fancy grease and put it on, then my quest to oc begins! ty