p2 oc'ing PLSS HELP

G

i have a p2-233 @ 291 (83*3.5) i realy want to go higher (350) but i get no screen when i go further then 3.5 (probaly cuz multiplier is locked) (and i can't go higher then 83 cuz it's a 66fsb mobo. and now i have a few questions ...
1) the p2 is klamath core, shouldn't those be unlocked?
2) could there be any other reason that the puter won't boot if the multiplier is further then 3.5 (2,2.5,3,3.5 work fine)
3) is there ANY way to unlock the multiplier?
4) i've read an old article ( http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/98q2/980514/index.html )
a guide on how to get 66 mhz mobo's to work @ 100
but the guide only mentions mobo's with BX chipsets, i have a LX chipset ... will that work to? (i actually tried it and it didn't work(but mobo doesn't automaticly select fsb speed... i have to choose in bios)

system: p2 klamath core 233
QDI legend V mobo
64 66mhz ram

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
What motherboard to you have?

I have this P2-266 with an Asus 440-LX motherboard
rev 1.02 at home.

I've tried to get this thing up to at least 300 Mhz
with no luck at all. Even with an FSB increase to
73Mhz causes it not to POST. I'm going to borrow
a P2-350 CPU from my friend to see if it's the CPU
or the motherboard. But I'm guessing its the motherboard
since increasing the FSB doesn't even work.

cheers

G

i think it's your motherboard, cuz 4*73 should normally work(even if your multiplier is locked at 4)
btw: is your motherboard jumperfree? (setting fsb and multiplier in bios) mine is... i first couldn't get to 291 either, it worked after a bios update

G

cmon ppl PLSS HELP
ANY information you got about oc'ing p2, PLS POST

Croaker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a P2-266 & a P2-300 both are not jumper locked. I have run both at 3.5*100(350) no problem with new fans on them. I have one in a machine now working no problem. If your motherboard is a LX don't overclock it you will have problems.If it's a BX it should overclock no problem. I don't know that brand of motherboard. Also I was able to boot at 3.5*103(360) but could not run Quake 3 so i changed it back to 350. you need to tell us more about the motherboard.

G

maybe a lame question...
but what's the advantage of raising the voltage?
and what's the default voltage?
and isn't that dangerous to mess with ?

if a processor refuses to go the next step in overclocking,a common problem is that it is not getting enough voltage to run that speed.example: my 550e will run at 733 at 1.65 volts, but to run it at 814 it needs 1.75 volts. it will not even post at 1.65 volts.
the default voltage is 2.0 volts,and as long as you have good cooling for the cpu small increases in voltage should not be a problem.

G

so IF the multiplier is unlocked
and i get from 2v to 2.2 volt there's a high chance that the puter will start up higher then 291
any1 gots any guides on changing the core voltage on p2's ?

G

I have a PII 266 and an Abit BH6 board. The highest/stablest settings I could obtain was 350 with L2 cache switch to Disable. But.. I nearly burned my CPU because the caches were buring hot when I return home one day after a full day of running.

So I clocked it down to 300 100 X 3.0 and it is running sweet now. I am sure I can make it run at 350 or 400 if I can get the darn cover for the CPU off and stick one of those double HSF for Slot 1s with A.S.

Looking for those Double HSF at the moment. Can't wait.

BTW, now with 300 Megahertz.. L2 cache is enable and temperature is bearable.

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Naw.. this P2L97 board uses Jumpers to set the FSB and Multiplier.. but changing just the FSB doesn't work either
:(

I've given up on it and am thinking of just buying a BX board to replace it