P2B-S PCI 2.2?

I am thinking about buying a PCI card that requires PCI 2.2. Can I use
the card in my P2B-S rev 1.04?

Paul

Splendid

In article <MPG.1ba6bbd5409384e5989685@news.comcast.giganews.com>, Rattana
Saelim <rattanasaelim@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a PCI card that requires PCI 2.2. Can I use
> the card in my P2B-S rev 1.04?

The P2B-S uses a PCI bridge compliant with PCI 2.1. PCI 2.2 changes the
definition of a couple of reserved pins (PME# for wake on LAN and
3.3VAux for powering during system sleep). But, the biggest change
is "Changes to configuration structure to define additional capabilities
of a PCI function". So, it is possible the motherboard BIOS will not
understand the new card.

If you check in Google, the success of new PCI cards in old computers
is spotty. Sometimes the card is "invisible" and cannot be seen even
in Windows. Sometimes the computer will not POST, which means the
card is preventing the BIOS from starting. While you can play with
BIOS settings, to try to get it to work, there are no guarantees.

Using Google, run the brand name and model of the PCI card through
a Google search, and see what pops up. Some PCI cards have poor
general compatibility, meaning they have trouble even with new
computers.

HTH,
Paul