P2T, PTT, Push-to-Talk

barfly

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2004
7
0
18,510
Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

Hi there, Push-to-Talk users,

Since P2T is not very well known yet in Europe (still in it's preliminary
phase), maybe some of you could help me out with some of the questions I
have concerning this subject :
-What are the main advantages of P2T compared to SMS, e.g. or, the other way
around, the main disadvantages ?
-Does anyone know about any P2T pilot-projects in Europe that might be
interesting to know about?
-Does any of you have any experience in a professional environment
(dispatching, service departments, logistics...) , and if so, can anyone
tell me why I should consider introducing this rather new medium in my
company?
-Does anyone know any figures about the cost/head related to P2T, when used
in a professional environment?
-Who are the main players, next to Nextel and eStara in the world, and maybe
more in particular, in Europe?

If you have any interesting facts related to any of my questions (and in
particular the American and Australian users), please post your reply's
here, or send an e-mail.

Best regards,

Danny
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

"Barfly" <phoenix_1970@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:8hXHc.1016$qN.180196709@hebe.telenet-ops.be...
> Hi there, Push-to-Talk users,
>
> Since P2T is not very well known yet in Europe (still in it's preliminary
> phase), maybe some of you could help me out with some of the questions I
> have concerning this subject :
> -What are the main advantages of P2T compared to SMS, e.g. or, the other
way
> around, the main disadvantages ?

The main advantage to its use would be in one talking to many
(more than one, anyway).

> -Does anyone know about any P2T pilot-projects in Europe that might be
> interesting to know about?
> -Does any of you have any experience in a professional environment
> (dispatching, service departments, logistics...) , and if so, can anyone
> tell me why I should consider introducing this rather new medium in my
> company?
> -Does anyone know any figures about the cost/head related to P2T, when
used
> in a professional environment?
> -Who are the main players, next to Nextel and eStara in the world, and
maybe
> more in particular, in Europe?

In the USA, there's Nextel running iDEN; and Sprint, Verizon,
and Alltel running CDMA for PTT. I haven't heard of a GSM
or GPRS or EDGE method yet of doing PTT.

> If you have any interesting facts related to any of my questions (and in
> particular the American and Australian users), please post your reply's
> here, or send an e-mail.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Danny

John C.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

In alt.cellular John Cummings <n4bkn.no@spam.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> -Who are the main players, next to Nextel and eStara in the world, and
> maybe
>> more in particular, in Europe?
>
> In the USA, there's Nextel running iDEN; and Sprint, Verizon,
> and Alltel running CDMA for PTT. I haven't heard of a GSM
> or GPRS or EDGE method yet of doing PTT.

In Canada, Telus runs Mike, an iDEN-based service like Nextel.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.